New HD in Imac 24" White...WD HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mocman, Aug 24, 2014.

1. mocman macrumors regular

I have ran disk warrior and it clearly states that my HD is gone. I have read that it is imperative that I stick with the name brand which is WD sata. Could I use any WD 3.5 Hd. I will use this at our business. Or could I change over to any SSD and use a converter?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You can use any 3.5" SATA drive. Just remember to remove the original thermal sensor and place it on the new drive. Since the interface is SATA I, an SSD will not perform optimally but certainly will be faster.

3. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

So the name brand of the drive does not matter? Also will a sata III be backward compatible with sata I? I guess I need to skip the SSD if I will not get any benefit.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Brand doesn't matter. They are all backwards compatible. SSDs will still be faster overall but you won't get the "full" benefit. For instance, large transfers won't be much faster than a modern 7200RPM 3.5". At this point you also have to consider how much money you are putting into an old machine as well.

5. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

It was a free gift so I think I will put the wd 500 gig via amazon prime for 50 bucks. It is a sata III and should be great for my business and browsing web and running quick books . Thanks for your help!