new HD in my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by superspud, Nov 9, 2008.

1. superspud macrumors regular

ok so i've had my macbook for about a year and a half now. its a 2.16 with 2 gigs of ram (just bought 2x2gb sticks from newegg about 5 minutes ago though )

anyway, i am wanting to upgrade to a bigger hard drive but have a question.

I know its very simple to do the labor yourself and i plan to do so, but as far as the data and things saved on my current hard drive, how do i get that to my new one? im not talking about pix or music b/c i can store that on my external, but im talking about OS X and my applications that i have on my current hard drive.

how do i move that over to my new hard drive? will i have to completely install it all over again or what?

if this is in the wrong section please move it

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I would think probably the simplest thing to do is to make a Time Machine back up of your Mac and then swap the hard drive. It's a simple matter to install the OS on your new drive from the disks that came with your computer – when it's done and you go through the initial set up, there's an option to transfer data across from Time Machine.

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

well first of all you get a external harddrive and transfer all your things in it

now im not sure about saving the whole OS, most especially the applications. i think some of the applications you can still save.

i would suggest asking a genius bar dude for that kind of thing.

but then again, theres other people on these forums that know this stuff much better than i

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

5. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i can back all of my normal files i.e. music, video and other such things with my externals... but like i said i was just confused about how i'd transfer over the apps... ilife and all of that other good jazz.