New HD - Installing S.Leopard on my MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gkp, Feb 8, 2010.

1. gkp macrumors member

Hello there,
    I have ordered a new 640gig hard drive for my 15" MBP 2.53gHz. I have Snow Leopard running. I would like to do one final back up and install a fresh OS. Do I still use my original OSX disc first and then install Leopard? Also, is there a way to do a back up to where I can pick and choose which applications I want and just bring them straight over without having to reinstall everything separately? Please do not misunderstand, I want a fresh OS, not just a back up and restore.
    And one more thing, I have Parallels installed to, with Windows XP, should I partition this first before installing anything? I had a hard time with Boot Camp, and besides I already shelled out the money to install it.

thank you for any help or clarification.

2. tug macrumors 6502

the best thing to do here is dont bother installing osx just clean install old snowy it gives you options what to do in starting install. i had a new h/d not so long ago & made the mistake of installig both & for some reason me mac seemed cumbersom! dumped everything & started again with just old snowy its like i just got it out the box! now i used migration assistant to bring all me stuff back and its good, no, its brilliant! you could bring just the apps you want from time machine manually. or let mig.ass. do it then remove what ya dont want. hope it helps. tug :apple:

oh & mig.ass. will bring windows stuff back exactly how ya left it.

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

To put it simply - just install straight from your 10.6 disc - Id then use migration assistant to move everything back from your Time Machine volume (its how I recovered from a recent HD death - just restored all my data from Time Machine after a clean 10.6 install :D)

4. gkp thread starter macrumors member

Problem SOLVED! thank you

thanks for making this easy for me. I appreciate your input. :D

5. gkp thread starter macrumors member

Updated: New hard drive arrived! Formatting & Migration Asst. Questions

Hey, I am the orginal poster of this thread a while back ago. Update: I purchased the 7200 500 gig drive. I appreciate your help everyone, but I have just a couple of questions:
    Question 1: After I install the new hard drive, how should I format it (Extended or Journaled?) I only plan on using my laptop for regular stuff, music and Final Cut Studio.
    Question 2: After installing Snow Leopard from the disc what about all the apps from the original OSX disc? will it ask me to install that on top of Snow Leopard to install mail, etc? or does Snow Leopard already have all of those apps on the disc?
    Question 3: If I were to use migration assistant to bring over my stuff from time machine, will it bring over the library/preferences/application support files automatically, etc. so I don't have to do all my serials all over again? For instance, I have the latest version of Final Cut Studio 7 and Parallels with Windows XP. Would it be better just to do clean installs of both of these?
    Thanks again!