New HD need help w/ install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexwithad, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

I just bought a 320 gb seagate HD and I've installed it into my MacBook pro 13" from last June. I formatted it as Mac OSX Extended (journaled) and I have my old MacBook hard drive in an external enclosure. How do I set up my new harddrive from my old one? It's not time machine or anything just the hard drive that was in my MacBook previous to the new 320.

EDIT: UPDATE ON ISSUE;
    I let my start up disc restore my new hard drive to my old hard drive and it finished so I shut it all off, took out the disc and unplugged the external (old hard drive). I start it back up it sits at grey screen apple logo pops up and then it goes to a dark grey screen that tells me I need to restart and turn it back on and there's a list of other languages it tells me to do that. So I did so and it goes and does the same thing. Right now I'm booting from the external as the boot drive and the internal is just acting as an external. I looked in finder and it seems to be copied correctly and all I just don't know why it won't boot. I might have to try those other suggestions.

2. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

If you basically want a clone of the old hard drive for your new one, go into Disk Utility, click on your current hard drive (the new one) and select the 'Restore' button. Then, select the old drive and click 'Restore'. I've never done it myself, but I'm 95% sure this will work.
    If that doesn't work, consider downloading a 3rd Party application that will clone your previous hard drive like SuperDuper!.

3. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm trying this now but I'm struggling with it. It isn't allowing me to select my old hard drive as the source.

4. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

Did you drag the old hard drive from the list on the left into the Source dialogue box? You have to do that, not click the 'image' button.

5. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that isn't working at all. It allows me to drag the start up disc but not the old hard drive.

edit: I tried it again and it seems to be working now. Hopefully this works :)

6. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

As an Idea, you could try putting the old hard drive back into the computer as the boot drive. Use Disk Utility to 'restore' the new drive (now in the external enclosure) so it is a clone of the old, then put that one into the computer.

Otherwise, I'd try using another program. That's probably the better option to try out first.

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

If that doesn't work, try booting from the external HD, pushing the option key at startup and selecting it.
    The download Carbon Copy Cloner, freeware/donationware, and use it to clone the external to the internal drive. It will take awhile to finish.
    Run disk utility or better yet Disk Warrior if you have it, on the new drive and then reboot after selecting the new drive as the startup disk in System Preferences.
    Should work, and CCC is much easier to use than Disk Utility.

8. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

I let my start up disc restore my new hard drive to my old hard drive and it finished so I shut it all off, took out the disc and unplugged the external (old hard drive). I start it back up it sits at grey screen apple logo pops up and then it goes to a dark grey screen that tells me I need to restart and turn it back on and there's a list of other languages it tells me to do that. So I did so and it goes and does the same thing. Right now I'm booting from the external as the boot drive and the internal is just acting as an external. I looked in finder and it seems to be copied correctly and all I just don't know why it won't boot. I might have to try those other suggestions.

edit:
    I'm going to try this now since the previous did not work.

9. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved using the Carbon Copy Cloner, great software. Once I get more money in my Paypal definitely sending them a donation.