New HD not recognized in MBP '10

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kj101, Jan 31, 2015.

1. kj101 macrumors newbie

I just got a new hard drive today (HGST 500gb, 2.5) to replace my failing hard drive (original 250gb Hitachi,2.5). I took my macbook in to Mac and they said the hard drive is failing so I just went ahead and ordered a new one. Now, when I get to disk utility via osx install disk, it fails to recognize the new hard drive. How can I get it to show up?

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

Make sure everything is seated correctly and the sata cable is connected securely to the drive.

If that still doesn't work, you might have a DOA hard drive on your hands. Try putting the old drive back and seeing if it'll work.

3. kj101 thread starter macrumors newbie

It looked like the cord by the hard drive was a little bent, I straightened it out best I could and i'm now installing os x on to the new drive. I'm thinking the cord actually might have been the issue instead of Hard Drive failure, even for my old drive. Going to put my old drive in to my friends Macbook to confirm

4. kj101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the new hard drive & it worked as far as installing the new os x, restarted it and got the question mark sign. Moved my original hard drive into my friends macbook and it worked fine, wasn't corrupt as the apple guy told me. I was wondering, do you think this might be the problem? In my friends computer his cord connecting to the hard drive didn't look bent/longer like this. It's the original one I got with the mbp

Attached Files:

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Yep, looks like a bad hard drive cable. I think your hard drives are fine.

6. kj101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cool! I was glad to see all my files were still there. I'll take it in to them on Monday to see the rates for replacing

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

as for your new drive you can get an enclosure and use it for backups.

8. kj101 thread starter macrumors newbie

will do!