New HD = slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by galstaph, Jul 31, 2009.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

So I added a HD to my '09 octad, the samsung ecogreen f2 1.5tb (same ones that Tesselator has in his raid setup). I moved my home folder to this new drive so it had a nice cozy big space to grow (my apps are only 50gb, but home folder is around 370gb, so filling up the original 640gb drive). Since doing this I have had a MAJOR slowdown, I mean it feels like a 386 at times, my mouse will studder and keyboard will take a while to react, I also have trouble single and double clicking and then it will clear up only to return (hmmm almost sounds like a mouse driver issue... I'll update logitec as well but anyway)...
    I've run onyx to do all the permissions (of which I can only run on the original drive for some reason) and scripts (daily, weekly, monthly etc)

I'm 99.95% sure that the drive shouldn't cause these issues...
    Any suggestions?

Should I just move over my entire system to the new drive (I wanted to keep the apps on the 7200rpm drive for launch speed) leaving the old for bootcamp or something??

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Have you tried using disk util. to repair the drive?

3. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

have tried, disks both verify as OK
    ran permissions a few times, no real help
    reinstalled logitech drivers (have the s530 mouse/keyboard for mac combo)
    reindexed spotlight

all to no avail

seems ok for the moment (just finished restart after repairing permissions via install disk)

If it persists I'll update, in the meantime, any thoughts on the issue are appreciated

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

What is the SMART status of the drive? (Check in :apple: -> About this Mac -> More Info)

5. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

both verified
    working a bit better using my vx revolution mouse, but issue still persisting
    I might just move my home folder back to my system drive, maybe that'll fix it?

6. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Did you partition ''GUID Partition Table'' and format the drive correctly '' Mac OS Extended (journaled)?
    Also, it's alway a good idea. To zero out any new drive. Write zeros across the entire drive.

7. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

yes they are formatted properly, haven't tried zeroing it out though....

8. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Like you allude to, I say do a zero out and repartition and see if it works better. You never know what funny bits (bad pun) are in the new drive.
    edit: nice 12" ibook, I have 1.33 also and still use it like a workhorse