Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Hey all,

I currently have a first gen 15" unibody MBP. After filling up the 250 gb internal drive pretty quickly I purchased a 500 gb seagate drive to replace it. I plan on purchasing this enclosure for the drive I remove from the computer. My first question is does any body have any experience with that enclosure? Will my 15" MBP be able power the drive over a single USB cable?

Secondly, if that enclosure will work as I want it to, will I then be able to retrieve all of my data off of it when I connect it via USB? I've started pulling some of my pictures and other data off the internal drive but I will be unable to fit all of my iTunes library onto my existing external.

Thanks in advance.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The answers to all of your questions is "yes"

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Quick follow up that I forgot to ask, does any one have confirmation that that external enclosure I linked in my first post will be fine powered by a single USB cable? It doesn't really matter much since I'll find out tomorrow (that's when mine is supposed to arrive) but I was curious to see if anyone had any experience with the drive. If it won't work with my computer I can always give it to my sister because I'm sure the MacBook Air's USB can power it just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.