New HDD - Folder with questionsmark.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Halvard, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Halvard, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

Halvard macrumors regular

Halvard

I installed a new 500GB HDD with 7200 RPM (Or whatever its called).
    I startet the mac and a question mark comes up. I really don't know what to do.

Please tell me!

And I've read over the internet and I got another mac to connect it too (iMac) and I got the two discs that I got when I bought a MAc Mini one year ago.

Btw, I have the MacBook Aluminium Unibody! :)

EDIT: I tried to put my old HDD in the macbook and it worked. But not the new.

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Is there an OS installed on the new HDD?

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

4. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

No there are no new OS on the new HDD. Its 100% clean.

How do I do that?

And btw, it doesnt matter for me if I lose the files on the Mac. I've already took a backup of everything I had on it!

Actually I want the mac to be 100% clean aswell! :)

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

6. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

But I don't got the installation CD for my Mac!
    I got for the iMac.

But I think we got for the regular MacBook bought in 2010/09! :) The white one. Not the new one with all the new track pad features. This one has a button on it.

7. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

If the HDD does not have an OS installed, the computer will not boot. Do you have an external enclosure you could use for the drive so you can clone it?

Also, if your MacBook is white, it's not aluminium.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You either need the OS install disc that came with your Mac, or you're going to have to go buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard. You can't use the install disc from another Mac.

Or, as TheFarmer and NickFinn said, you'll have to get an external enclosure for the old drive, boot from that and clone it to the new drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.

9. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

I know I got the aluminium and its not white. The macbook we have the install CD for is white.

But nevermind about that. I got the Snow Leopard CD. But not the full version I think. When I bought it the person behind the desk asked: "Do you want the full version? Like do you already got Leopard? Or do you got Tiger or anything else?" I said I already had Leopard, and installed it and everything works fine. Does that mean that I need another version? Like do I need another snow leopard since I don't have any OS on it at all?

EDIT: I tried and it looked like it was gonna work, but when I'm supposed to choose what HDD I should install the OS on no HDD poped up.

10. simsaladimbamba

11. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Ok it looks like its working now. I needed to Partisipate or something like that, the HDD so it worked! And it did! ^^

Thank you guys!
    If I have more problems about this type of thing, I come back to this thread! :)

You're awesome!

12. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Did you boot to CD? (hold c while booting up) then use the disk utility to format the HDD to mac osx journaled and then try the install. Does the hdd at least show up in the disk utility?

13. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Ok, so Snow Leopard is an operating system? Like I don't need nything to install SL? Like The Sims. I need The Sims 3 to play The Sims 3 Vacation.
    Its not like that is it?

Anyway here is what I did if someone
    1. Take out the HDD thats already in.
    2. Put in my new HDD.
    3. Start up the computer.
    4. Put in the Snow Leopard CD.
    5. Turn of the computer.
    6. Turn on the computer and holding down "C" when the booting sound comes and wait until the apple icon comes up.
    7. Wait
    8. When the instalation window opens, I press "Tools" on the top of the screen and select DiskTool. Then I select my disc to the left and press on "Partis..." (Its in Norwegian. Don't know what it is in english). Name it Macintosh HD like the old one. And proceed or finish or whatever is down there.
    9. Finish the installation.

One little problem I might have (The Snow Leopard is installing now) is that I havent made a user with username and password and stuff like that.

Do I do that after the installation?

14. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i reckon the guy behind the desk tried to sell him the box set:

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.
    If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single,
    affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6.3 Snow Leopard; iLife, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie,
    GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

15. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yes.

when the installer has finished and the Mac boots up, you will be taken to setup assistant. follow onscreen instructions.

16. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Ok thank you! Looks like everything is just perfect now! ^^
    Btw, do I get Garageband and applications like that? And Microsoft Office and that? :)

If you say that I need one of the installs to do that, then I might think I have it! I have the MacBook Applications install.

17. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

find out what's in the box: http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

if you need garageband, you will have to purchase iLife.

18. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Ok. But I got the "Macbook Mac OS X Applications" CD. Does that contain those applications. Maybe also Word and Powerpoint?

19. simsaladimbamba

The grey Recovery DVDs include Mac OS X and iLife, nothing more, especially since Word and PowerPoint are included in MS Office, which is from Microsoft, thus you have to BUY MS Office to get Word and PowerPoint.

20. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i doubt it.

definitely not. those are Micro$oft apps and to be purchased separately in any case.

21. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Ahh ok. How much does Word, Powerpoint and Excel cost? And can I buy them online?

And is it possible to copy my friends programs? Like he has all the programs I need for school, and can I then copy from him? :)

22. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can buy them from Microsoft

23. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Ahh ok.

Thanks for your help btw!
    I got it to work now! :D

Love it! ^^