New HDD for imac 8.1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pete1010, Dec 24, 2012.

1. pete1010 macrumors newbie

Hi folks... First all of im new to the forum.. so let me just hello, and merry chrimbo to you all... :)

Right, i have a 24" Imac 8.1 C2D 3.06ghz.. Currently have a 500gb hd (all i can tell you about the hd as it wont boot up)

A few days ago i was using my computer fine then all of a sudden it froze and then the screen started flashing at me.. I had to turn it off as it wouldnt do anything else.... For a day thats all it would do.. I would start it up all was fine then it would staqrt flashing and crash...

I spoke to apple on the phone and they said it sounded like corrupt software.. They took me through the reset thing, shift p + r was it? that wouldnt work, so they said to put in my snow leopard disc and boot up using c to run from disk utility and repair drive etc... However it wont even do that.. it just comes up with the normal white screen with the apple logo then just stays there and will not go any further...

Ive accepted that a new hd is needed, fair enough, to be fair it was slowing down quite a bit before all this, and was starting to play up...

What HD is recommended to replace what i would have in there now. Ive been looking at WD Caviar Black.. I need something this is reliable, resonably quiet as i use my computer for audio editing production, also speed is very important as well...

As im a bit of a technophobe would upgrading the size of the hd cause my computer to run hotter, burn out etc etc due to different wattage or something like that?

Sorry if i sound like a complete moron, but i just want a nice simple exchange in HD with zero problems or issues....

If anyone can supply me with any help and advice i would very grateful..

Thanks in advance..

:)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That drive should be fine in there. It won't make it run hotter, use more energy, or shorten the lifespan of your machine in anyway.

3. pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant thanks..... Ive also seen some things regarding the different seriel numbers or something and how some are better than others. have heard some saying that the WD1001FALS is the best or most reliable or something.. How is this? what makes it more reliable or faster as such..

Thank

4. iWaiting macrumors regular

hang on a minute

you say that if you put the snow leo disk in and hold down c you just get the normal apple logo .then its more than the hd

you should be able to get to the installer on the optical disk evan if the HDD is K for not working

try holding the alt key after the chime to see the boot disks with the SL disk in the drive , if it then is able to boot then you should be able to verify the HDD

5. pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

arrrgghh really? I turn it on with c held down and yes, just goes to the apple screen and will not go any further than that...

If its not the hdd then are there any ideas as to what it could be then? something else hardware, or software you think?

i will try the alt key thingy and see what that does...

i just want my imac to work again..

----------

also, i should mention that the SL disc im using is the one purchased from apple.. so its not the actual boot leopard disc that came with it,would this make any difference?

6. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

If you can't get to the SL installer, its not the HD. Sounds like the logic board to me.
    Try another keyboard and/or try holding down the option key during boot. You should see a list of drives including the SL disc.

7. pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

****** really? Thats just crazy money to repair id imagine..?!!! Brilliant..

If i i hold down the alt key i get the HD or disc option.. What should i be opening from here?

When i select the HD it just goes to the white screen apple logo and just stays there and wont boot up...

:(:(:(:(:(

8. iWaiting macrumors regular

disk option

that should open the installer use the DU from there to check out the HDD

9. pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

It wont even open it.. I select the disc from the the two options then it goes straight back to the white screen with apple logo.. and does absolutely piss all!!!

I've had enough :mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any other way of getting it to load up disk? Or any other way of doing anything positive to this?

Obviously its out of warranty, which basically means apple are going to charge me stupid money to repair anything cos lets face it apple are robbing *****

But i did hear that if i take it in to an apple shop they would run a diagnostics text to determine what the problem would be for free?

Any truth in that does anyone know?

I'm imagining that a new logic board from apple direct including fitting would be so expensive that i would probably be better off selling it as spares and repairs and buying a second hand/new machine

11. pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

What are the complete specs on this Mac? Gpu, ram? Sounds like possible system board failure. Or possibly a bad ram module. If you take out one will it start? If not put that one back and take out the other one and try again.

Cheers,

13. pete1010, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

spec as follows:

Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHZ
    4GB Ram
    500gb HDD
    Snow Leopard version is the latest.. Cant remember exactly..

Is it relatively easy to remove the ram? I'm not a technically minded person in all honesty, i dont have loads of tools, torx screwdrivers etc...

i bought the machine last year used of ebay.. Had no problems what sop ever until the last couple of months..

My machine would keep sleeping and going on to screensaver even though it was set to come on after 1hr... Also sometimes when i would input my password after screensaver it would just spaz out and sometimes it would not do anything but just think about my password and would need resetting... Then when re booted i would get the white screen with the question mark folder... Also had a couple of kernal panicks..

EDIT: Just seen how to remove the ram, its relatively simple even for a simpleton like me.. I will try what you suggest by removing each stick and trying then... (prob best i wait till i'm a little less drunk)

Thanks for your advice though bud.. Do appreciate it.. :)

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Did you ever get your problem resolved?

Cheers,

15. pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly no, tried the ram thing you suggested.. Didn't make any difference.. Still would not boot up..

I've all but given up on it ever being fixed without a humungous bill.. I'm going to have to start saving and invest in a new mbp i think..

The sad thing is, that the logic board has died on a 2008 machine, which in all fairness has not been over used, but my mbp 1.1 from like 2006 which has seen so much use is still going strong to this day.. :(

Tempted by the hackintosh route to be honest..

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

By any chance did this iMac have the nvidia 8800gs gpu (video card). They are known defective and many people have had multiple logic board replacements over this issue.

Cheers,

17. pete1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm now you asking mate, tbph i cant remember.. I bought the machine second hand, and video cards are not something i need to pay attention to for what i use my comps for.. If these are known as defective i wander if would be able to kick up a bit if a fuss and play that card and maybe get a deal on a repair perhaps... Now theres a thinker :rolleyes:

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

There are many threads on Macrumors about this issue. If you put the serial number in here: http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php
    and you might get the GPU info, though I can't remember if the nvidia card was a BTO option only. If it was then that might not work here.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,