Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Hi.

I'm going to buy a new hdd for my iMac late 2009 as it says S.M.A.R.T is failing and I need a new one before I can do a new install of my iMac :(

But I can't figure out what to get? What kind of Serial-ATA does it have to be? 300 or 600?

The only 1TB Serial-ATA300 drive I can get in Denmark is the Seagate Barracuda Green (ST1000DL002). Will that one work or can I get a Serial-ATA600?

Can someone help me please :)

dgoddard

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2015
Add an SSD to the disk drive

This is my first post and hope it helps. I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago with a late 2009 21.5 iMac. I opted to put an 500GB SSD into the disk drive space (as it was unused) to both speed up my mac and give it a longer life, the installation is quite easy, with plenty of tutorials online. It may seem daunting but I would say its easier than replacing the hard drive as i believe the 2009 iMac hard drive have specific hardware to detect temperature as opposed to a external sensor. Hope this is of use.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Thank you for the reply :) But I just wanted to know what kind of Serial-ATA I can use with my iMac and if the Seagate will work as is it the only Serial-ATA 300 in Danmark I can buy at 1TB.

But thanks anyway :)

Stonefly

Contributor
Dec 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
I replaced my seagate 1TB in my late 2009 27" iMac to a 1TB seagate sshd. It's faster than a regular hd but not as fast as an ssd. It was an easy swap and the temp cable plugged right in, works fine. No fan issues as it reads the temp of the drive.

This is the one I bought. You can get one with more storage if you need it.

SSHD Link

JimmakoS

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
Greece, Athens
Hi.

I'm going to buy a new hdd for my iMac late 2009 as it says S.M.A.R.T is failing and I need a new one before I can do a new install of my iMac :(

But I can't figure out what to get? What kind of Serial-ATA does it have to be? 300 or 600?

The only 1TB Serial-ATA300 drive I can get in Denmark is the Seagate Barracuda Green (ST1000DL002). Will that one work or can I get a Serial-ATA600?

Can someone help me please :)

I have an iMac 21.5 late 2009 and i have 2 drives installed.

The one is the following

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW

And i have one SSD VERTEX 2 120GB at the optical bay.

Everything is ok after a lot of years :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.