New HDD in 13" 2010 MBP - shock protection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danistyping, May 10, 2010.

1. danistyping macrumors regular

Hey guys

I'm going to be getting a 2010 13" Macbook Pro and I want to put a 5400rpm drive at 750gig or 1tb. Here's my situation.

I live on a tour bus for most of the summer so the computer is constantly lightly jostled. In the past with other MBPs I've seen occasional skips in video but no data loss.

For this new comp, I want to upgrade the capacity - I need 750gig or higher. I know you will tell me the REAL solution is SSD (i agree) but i don't have the money for the capacity I need.

I need the best drive that will provide shock protection on the road but is not an SSD.

1) This Drive supposedly has shock protection. But does that mean the ENCLOSURE has shock protection or does the actual drive have it? I want to remove the drive from the enclosure and install it in the MBP 13".

2) Does the macbook pro have built in shock protection?

3) Is there any real world risk of data loss with todays technology?

4) Other threads on here have confirmed that a 12.5mm drive will fit, but will it be mounted as firmly inside the computer as a 9.5mm? I need super sturdy.

Any other info you think might be helpful is greatly appreciated! THANKS!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. I don't know, but the probability is high, that the HDD has the shock protection and not the case.

2. Sudden Motion Sensor

3. Yes, if you don't back up. HDDs can fail, as any piece of equipment.

4. 9.5mm is not as high as 12.5mm, so one can assume that the 12.5mm HDD will sit tighter/firmer than the 9.5mm HDD.

3. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Make sure you use Time Machine every day/few days if you are worried about data loss. There is no reason not to backup.

4. danistyping thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick responses. I do use time machine to back up almost every day. Thanks also for the info on the SMS - glad that's inside my mac!

Anyone know if the drive has the shock protection of if its just the enclosure?

5. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Just enclosure. while the drives have sudden motion sensing. the shock padding is in external enclosures. Unfortunately, Macbook pros are consumer level devices, while they have some shock protection. They do not have high level shock protection and vibration resistance.