New HDD inquiry + time machine question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gloor, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I would like to get a new HDD for my MP. It will be my 4th one so I was wondering which one to get and what is the ideal setup.

I have WD640gb x2 and default apple 320gb x1

the WD is with my system and everything then the 2nd WD is for time machine to back everything that is on the 1st one and the Apple one is formatted with boot camp and windows on it (although I hardly use it)

Now, my 1st drive is getting full and I was wondering what is the best scenario here.

Here is what I was thinking:

Can I get 1TB or 1,5TB and use it as a back up for time machine and have those 2 WD as normal drives (one with system etc. and the other with renders etc.). Will time machine be able to back up both disc onto the new one or is that not possible?

Also, what would you suggest and what are the differences here

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 64MB Cache

or

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

Both look like they have same speed and cache so why would I want to buy the green one except for the energy efficiency (which I presume has some drawbacks)

Also, would it be a good choice for MP or is it better to use the black line?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you very much in advance

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would use an app called Carbon Copy Cloner, because I'm not sure how TM can handle dual disk backup. CCC is very simple to use and the backup it makes can be used in TM.

I would get the Green one though it's slower but consumes less energy and is quieter thus you don't really need speed for backups. It's also cheaper