New HDD Installation - Apple Warranty Void?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mathcolo, Oct 26, 2008.

1. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

If I purchase a new HDD for my MacBook... lets say a 320GB WD HDD, should I go to the Genius Bar and have an Apple Authorized Technician install it? I'm afraid that if I install it myself it won't be covered under Apple's warranty. Or does Apple's warranty only cover drives that they provide me?

2. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

Apple's warranty only covers drives they sell you. Otherwise, the rest of your computer will still be covered if you install the new HD yourself.

3. mathcolo thread starter macrumors 6502a

So in other words if I want a new drive but with Apple's warranty I'll have to buy it from them with their horrible prices...

Alright, thanks Ryan T.!

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. Buy a new drive and install it. The drive will be under the manufacturer's warranty (WD) and the rest of the MB will be under Apple's. You won't void the warranty of either drive or computer.

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

I'm not sure of your concern. Who cares about Apple's warranty on the drive? For instance if you buy a WD Scorpio 500GB from NewEgg, it comes with a 3 year warranty. You are covered. Buy 3rd party and save the money.

6. MurphyM macrumors 6502

At my Apple store they told me they wouldn't look at the machine without the original drive in it. I had it with me, put it back in, and they helped me. I had a bad logic board which they then replaced.

7. molala macrumors 6502a

The act of installing a new hard drive does not void your AppleCare. You can do it yourself.

8. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

What about RAM? Can I upgrade the RAM myself without voiding the warrenty?

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes you can.