New HDD - loading data from old drive [HELP]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petrucci666, Nov 1, 2010.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I bought a new 500GB hard drive and I already have a 320GB in my 13" MBP.

I'd like to swap the two but get all the data onto my 500GB HDD so everything is exactly the same when I turn it on.

Of course I can use Time Machine for this without any major trouble, but the problem is I don't have a drive to put my backup onto and then load it onto my new 500GB drive.

How would I go about solving this?

Thanks for any help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Get the new HDD, put it into an inexpensive enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs, connected via USB (cost around 10 to 20 €), download CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper and clone your internal HDD onto the external.

Then do the swap.

from MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Just used the above method for my daughter's MacBook. Works a treat. We tried putting in the new HDD first and then cloning back from a backup, but the new drive didn't show in Disk Utility when using the install discs or the external backup.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Get one of these (various items shown):
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0

Inexpensive, VERY easy to use, you can even boot from them. Can be used to backup, archive, or for "occasional usage".

Once you have it, do this:
    1. Hook everything up
    2. Boot from the Macboook
    3. Put the drive into the dock and power up the dock
    4. Initialize the new drive using Disk Utility
    5. Use "CarbonCopyCloner" to clone the contents of your internal to the docked drive
    6. Now, REBOOT and hold down the "option" key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
    7. When you see the Startup Manager screen, pick the new drive and do a "test boot" from it.
    8. Make sure that the new drive boots (while it's still in the dock), and when you get to the Finder, check around so that you're satisfied it's a "dupe" of the internal drive.
    9. Now, "do the swap" -- switch the drives around.
    10. When it's all back together, make sure that the new drive boots properly as your internal. Also check to see that the old drive will boot in the dock.

You can continue to use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the _new_ internal to the drive in the dock. If you start to get pushed for space on the old drive, you can set up CCC to ignore some items and do a selective backup of the most important stuff. Very easy to do.