New HDD - Now A Battery Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddiejsmall, Nov 4, 2010.

1. eddiejsmall macrumors member

Just got my 1TB HDD in the Mid 2010 MBP 13" Unibody.

It fit great, and I've got a TON of space now, really happy with.

It looks like I may have a bit of an issue with the battery now. I am noticing some irregularity to the meter, longer charge times, and faster discharge while use...

Maybe I am being paranoid with the whole process of upgrading my HDD, but it seems there may be something going on, if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to check the health of the battery, if I need to recalibrate, or what it may sound like.

Did a fresh install of Mac OS Snow Leopard, if you are curious.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. eddiejsmall thread starter macrumors member

I've read the battery link, great information, still confused.

Battery seems to be generating some heat now, something I've never noticed before, my macbook is only a few months old.

Can I take it into an Apple Store to have them check things out, or by upgrading the HDD did I kill the warranty? Any way to get it checked by a professional?

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Hard drives don't void the warranty. Take it in to be checked!

5. eddiejsmall thread starter macrumors member

Good to know that upgrading from the 250GB stock HDD to a WD 1TB didn't void my warrenty. I was hesitant because of that reason. The heat that I have noticed isn't coming from the battery, it is coming from the back.

It gets pretty warm, and again nothing I have noticed before I took the cover off and did the HDD swap. Seems like the something may be working harder then normal back there?

I am calibrating my battery today, and if the heat, and battery fluctuation persist, I'll take it in to the Apple Store next week.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MBPs run very warm. It's nothing to worry about. Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

7. eddiejsmall thread starter macrumors member

Ya but it never got warm before I installed the HDD?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you install iStat Pro, so you can check your temps?

9. eddiejsmall thread starter macrumors member

I'm in the process of charging battery for a battery reset, hopefully that helps my % jumps, and incorrect time remaining.

It's been on the charger from completely dead for about 2hours 13 minutes, and still NO green light. So when I get through recalibrating I'll check temps...

NOt sure why it is taking so long to charge.