New HDD question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrExcitement, Apr 10, 2014.

1. MrExcitement macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just recently bought a MacBook 7,1. As a life-long PC user, I'm very impressed with it's performance. However, I want to replace it's 250GB hard drive with a 1TB. I have plenty experience replacing hard drives but I need to be careful with this. I just came across a Toshiba MQ01ABD 1 TB 2.5' Internal. Is this a good replacement for my machine?

Thank you

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that drive will fit right in there and work just fine.

3. MrExcitement thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the reply.
    I've heard that replacing a Mac drive is a bit more tricky than a PC. Is that true?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... it is pretty easy. Just follow this video to install the new, blank drive. Then put your old drive in a cheap USB external enclosure (something like this will work fine). Then hold the option key and select the USB drive as the boot source. Once the system boots from the old drive in the enclosure just follow this video to use the included Disk Utility to format the new drive then clone the data from the old drive to the new.

5. MrExcitement thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 500 GB iOmega. Would that work?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh sure... that will work fine.

Before you remove the old HDD, attach the iOmega and erase the drive to Mac OS Extended in Disk Utility. Then use Disk Utility to clone the old internal drive to the iOmega following the process in the video I linked.

Then put in the new drive and option key boot to the iOmega. Then follow the same process from the video to format the new drive and clone from the iOmega to the new drive.

When you get all done and restart to the new drive, go to System Preferences and in the Startup Disk pane select the new drive as the boot drive.