New HDD, reinstalling OSX Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjk454ss, Jun 1, 2012.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

OK, seems simple, but I want too be prepared. I have a MBP that came with Snow Leopard, but I upgraded to Lion. I am getting a new HDD and want to do a new install of Lion. What are the best steps so I don't have to install Snow Leopard first?

2. CarcinogenX, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

CarcinogenX macrumors member

You need to download Lion from the App Store and put it on a bootable CD or flash drive.

You can go through several steps and do it yourself or click on the link and some dude has written a small program that does it all for you in a single click.

3. FranzMarc macrumors member

I think you could just switch the HDD, and then use the Cmd-R-Shortcut when booting (immediately after the sound) to reinstall Lion on the new harddrive.

It will take a tad longer I guess since it downloads the files again instead of installing from the usb-stick/cd.

4. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks

Does this option work if the MB came with Snow Leopard? Or only if it came preinstalled with Lion?

5. FranzMarc macrumors member

If you updated your Macbook's software, you should be fine.

This link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904 allows you to manually download the EFI Firmware update, which enables Internet Recovery if Lion on 2010/early 2011 MBPs.

I've used it with an early 2011 MBP myself since I didn't create a boot cd/stick.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Download Lion from the App Store, extract the InstallESD.dmg file from it (two-finger click -> Show Package Contents -> it's in one of the folders you see), and restore it to a USB drive (this will erase the drive) using Disk Utility. Make sure you're using a GUID partition scheme. You can then boot from the drive and install Lion directly.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

That's what I did when I swapped out hard drives. It was easy and it makes it nice to have a copy of Lion if I ever need it down the road. I keep it in my MacBook bag for just in case and it hardly takes up any space.

I will say though, that after 6 years with a MacBook I've never needed to have the restore discs in an emergency situation.

8. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I will do this first, just in case the cmd-r doesn't work. Thank you

9. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I somehow corrupted my Mac partition on my hard drive last month. And since I was using FileVault, I didn't know how to recover. I burned a DVD with Lion on my Mac Pro, and installed from that since my internet recovery failed twice.

I now have my laptop backed up with Time Machine to an external drive :)

10. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Got Lion reinstalled. Actually needed to hold down the "option" key to start Lion Internet Recovery. But it worked great, thanks again for the help.