Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNchedder

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
I have tried searching the forum and am now more confused than before.
I have upgraded to Snow Leopard on a new Seagate 500 GB (7200.4) using an external USB connector to the new Hard Drive, and will ultimately have it installed in my early 2008 15" MBP. I also run XP via a Fusion virtual machine, not Boot Camp.

Migration Assistant moved everything over, including XP.vmwarevm (located in Users/MainMac/Documents/Virtual Machines). However, XP will not load. Thus do I need to use Winclone and SuperDuper even though I am not using Boot Camp? What files do I clone? Does a complete explanation exist in the forum?

Can I later install XP via Boot Camp? Do I have to do a completely new installation, or can I somehow import the virtual machine?

Finally, I am running Fusion 2.06. Do I need to upgrade to 3.0? v2.06 was supposedly updated to play nicely with SL.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
When you run fusion does it show the xp vm in the list? If so when you select it what is the response? It should ask if it was copied or moved; always select moved.

If not can you post pics of what you're seeing?

Cheers?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What error message (if any) are you getting.

You shouldn't need winclone or anything because you basically copied your entire windows environment and it shouldn't even notice that you changed.

what happens when you double click on the vmx file

I've been able to move my virtual environments to a new HD without any problems and I had no need to run winclone or any such utility

MacNchedder

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
No idea what happened, but now vmware loads and XP does too!
Should I upgrade to Fusion 3.0 or does 2.06 work well enough?
Can I also set up Boot Camp using my existing virtual machine, since now I have adequate HD space?

Cheers,
MNC

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd recommend upgrading to 3.0 as it offers a number of features.

As for converting your existing VM to bootcamp - not possible. You basically need to partition your HD using bootcamp (non-destructively so you don't lose data) and then install windows. There's no mechanism to migrate VM to bootcamp.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I'd recommend upgrading to 3.0 as it offers a number of features.

As for converting your existing VM to bootcamp - not possible. You basically need to partition your HD using bootcamp (non-destructively so you don't lose data) and then install windows. There's no mechanism to migrate VM to bootcamp.

In the Windows world there are 3rd party IT tools to go V2P (virtual2physical). They are not inexpensive. I can check with the engineers at work if the OP is interested in trying them on a Mac. However, these tools mess around at the hardware level and if they work on a Mac may result in OSX data loss.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.