New HDD: Start from scratch wit ML

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MiniatureZeus, Jul 28, 2012.

1. MiniatureZeus macrumors newbie

Hi guys :)

Well, I've just bought a new SSD for my Macbook Pro and now want to replace my original harddrive with it (The original will then replace the SuperDrive).

On the new drive, I want to install Mountain Lion, but right now I'm kind of struggling with the backup procedure. The case is, that I want to make a complete fresh install of Mountail Lion, but of course I don't want to loose all my apps and settings, so how am I going to do this the best way? Right now, I've taken a manual backup of all my documents, incl. iPhoto library, iTunes Library and such, but will I just be able to copy that over to the new SSD and the new ML later on? Or is it some how tied to my current Lion installation?

Cheers, Daniel

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You can use Migration Assistant to copy the data from your old hard drive onto the SSD once you've installed ML on it.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

Can I ask why you want to do a clean install? The installer is designed by default to replace an existing OS. There is very little advantage to a clean install, particularly if you're going to replace everything that was on your old hard drive.
    Unlike earlier OS updates, there is very little alteration to existing APIs, so pretty much everything that works in Lion should run in Mountain Lion.

3. MiniatureZeus thread starter macrumors newbie

Over the years I've installed a lot of crap, which I don't want to have with me :)

But thanks though, I'll take a look at Migration Assistant.