New HDD::Time Machine::I am Failing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Saladsamurai, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

Alrighty-then! :)

I installed a new 500GB WD Blue HDD. After much research, I was convinced that a Time Machine restore would be a breeze. But this is not the case for me :( I never once during the procedure got an option to restore from Time Machine. I am sure this is my fault and I have overlooked something as I am a noob to this.

My MBP is a late 2006 model and hence came with Tiger installed. So after installing the new HDD I reinstalled Tiger (I had tried to install directly from the Leopard disc, but it did not work. I think that it is just an 'upgrade' disc? Does Apple make just upgrade discs? Cost about $120 USD).

I then set up the computer and downloaded updates. I then installed Leopard assuming that at some point I would be given the option to install form Time Machine, but never was. I have since gone into TM to try to find an option, but TM does not appear to be recognizing my old back-ups since it thinks that they are from another machine or something.

Any ideas here? What am I screwing up? Why was I not given the option to restore from TM?

2. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

I should have gotten a 404-Not Found? That's weird :D

Upon looking at the Leopard Install Disc, I have changed my mind and I think that it was a Full Install. I think that it just was not booting from it for some reason. I think I needed to hold down the 'c' key while booting. But the Tiger disc just booted right up so I took it from there.

I am currently using the Migration Assistant and I think I will be successful. I'll post back shortly.

3. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

So using the migration assistant seems to have worked quite nicely. The only problem is that now I have 2 accounts with my name on them and they both have admin rights. 1 from the migration, which I want to keep. And 1 from the tiger setup, which I want to delete.

Is there a quick way to delete the account? I can't seem to find button to delete under System Preferences->accounts.

4. LurchNC macrumors regular

Click the "lock" at the lower left of the Accounts screen. Highlight the account you want to delete. Click the "-" button just above the lock icon.