New HDD::Time Machine::I am Failing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Saladsamurai, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2009
    Alrighty-then! :)

I installed a new 500GB WD Blue HDD. After much research, I was convinced that a Time Machine restore would be a breeze. But this is not the case for me :( I never once during the procedure got an option to restore from Time Machine. I am sure this is my fault and I have overlooked something as I am a noob to this.

My MBP is a late 2006 model and hence came with Tiger installed. So after installing the new HDD I reinstalled Tiger (I had tried to install directly from the Leopard disc, but it did not work. I think that it is just an 'upgrade' disc? Does Apple make just upgrade discs? Cost about $120 USD).

I then set up the computer and downloaded updates. I then installed Leopard assuming that at some point I would be given the option to install form Time Machine, but never was. I have since gone into TM to try to find an option, but TM does not appear to be recognizing my old back-ups since it thinks that they are from another machine or something.

Any ideas here? What am I screwing up? Why was I not given the option to restore from TM?

2. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2009
    I should have gotten a 404-Not Found? That's weird :D

Upon looking at the Leopard Install Disc, I have changed my mind and I think that it was a Full Install. I think that it just was not booting from it for some reason. I think I needed to hold down the 'c' key while booting. But the Tiger disc just booted right up so I took it from there.

I am currently using the Migration Assistant and I think I will be successful. I'll post back shortly.
  3. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2009
    So using the migration assistant seems to have worked quite nicely. The only problem is that now I have 2 accounts with my name on them and they both have admin rights. 1 from the migration, which I want to keep. And 1 from the tiger setup, which I want to delete.

Is there a quick way to delete the account? I can't seem to find button to delete under System Preferences->accounts.
  4. LurchNC macrumors regular

May 1, 2008
    Click the "lock" at the lower left of the Accounts screen. Highlight the account you want to delete. Click the "-" button just above the lock icon.