New HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by goodkrack, Oct 13, 2013.

1. goodkrack macrumors newbie

Hi All
    I have been having issues with my MBP. It takes forever to start up and I often get the pin wheel spinning forever once im using the machine. I use onyx. I am currently using osx Lion. My guess is that the HDD is beginning to fail, however if anyone has any ideas id be very happy to hear them. I am all backed up to an external HDD. I have decided to try and have a fresh start with a new HDD and upgrade to Mountain Lion. My question is this,,
    Can you kind folks point me to a step by step guide to changing the hard drive. Also, is there a way that I can start afresh with the new hdd, ie.. get OSX mountain lion on there, but not all the other info that's on the old drive? Id like to start afresh like its a new machine.

Thank in advance for any help you can give me. Forgive me for not being hugely switched on to the tech.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't remember all the steps, but the first thing I would do is buy an external HDD and copy everything you want to keep from the MBP.

3. goodkrack thread starter macrumors newbie

got that done already, just in case the worst happens! thank you for the reply.