New headphones for indoor use

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sesshi, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I want a pair of relatively casual-use headphones for use indoors. The problem with my main headphone right now is that it comes with a hulking amp which means that it is pretty much fixed in place. I'm finding that I want to listen with say a laptop on a couch, and it's irritating sometimes listening using my earphones or my closed phones.

I'm looking for something which would sound pretty good with a laptop headphone jack upwards, so not looking for a headphone with a gazillion-ohm impedance.

I'd like something I can throw around with relative impunity and withstand the occasional accidental sitting-on, ~1.5m stretching curly cable if possible and a circumaural (around ear), comfortable, open design.

I was thinking of acquainting myself with the Sennheiser HD595. What say you?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Keep in mind that the 595s are open--wide open. So if you're around other people, they'll hear everything you're listening to, which will quickly become annoying. If you live alone, though (or listen to your music only when everyone's out/gone to bed/etc), then it could be a viable solution. But even then, the larger Senns come with 1/4th plugs, which means you'll need the 1/8th adapter to work with most portable gear, including computers. This will put a lot of stress on the jack of whatever you plug it into, besides being awkward to use. But if you don't mind the plug sticking out that way, and don't have to worry about the openness, then yes, they're generally considered solid phones. You can read loads of reviews on Amazon.

I roll with IEMs, which is why I'm not offering any new suggestions. I'd considered the 595s for the longest time before deciding I didn't want open phones, which is why I'm up to speed on them.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I use Sennheiser HD-280 PRO. It's a closed cup. Good for Djing too.

If you want open, Grado Prestige Series SR60 or anything higher suppose to sound fantastic for the price.

4. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

As I said, it's an annoyance listening with closed phones sometimes due to the increased clamping force (and audio compromises of a closed phone) I don't need for domestic use. No isolation required.

I can't say I'm a fan of Grado. I've found nothing they've made more than a passing distraction, and besides only the GS1000 is circumaural (more or less).