New height of Apple stupidity/selfishness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bunce66, Feb 24, 2018.

1. bunce66 macrumors member

So, two of the black rubber feet on the bottom of my 2014 MacBook Pro came off after 3 years of use. What should be a super simple thing turns out that they claim they need to replace the entire bottom piece for about $300. Can you believe that?

This same thing happened to my 2009 MacBook Pro and I took it to the Apple Store and replaced them for about $10 a piece. No big deal. Somewhere along the line, they got greedy.

Is it just me, or has Apple become the most nickel-and-diming company on earth? This is an absurd instance of just stupidity or an attempt to rip me off.

So, I won't get it fixed. And after this, won't be buying another MacBook Pro.

Thanks, Apple.

2. afir93, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

afir93 macrumors 6502a

afir93

Not trying to be the devil‘s advocate here, but do you actually know how easy or difficult the replacement of those rubbers is? Apple might have good reason for them not to be so easily replaceable, other than trying to make more money like you suggested, and I could very well imagine that this was a necessary consequence of making the MBPs much thinner and lighter. There were one big redesign (and multiple minor revisions) inbetween the 2009 and 2014 models, after all. Making components that were previously more easily replaceable soldered and less easy to reach/switch out is a necessary consequence of that (think of RAM, HDD, etc.).

Of course I can‘t make any definite judgements without further knowledge; if you want to know how difficult it is to access/replace those rubbers in these models, it might be in their respective iFixit guides somewhere. But there‘s a strong possibility that Apple didn‘t do this as a turnoff to customers but that they needed to do this at the cost of a much-improved design.

Edit: unless it actually does turn out to be easily replaceable by yourself; in that case I entirely agree with the others and suggest a DIY repair with some cheap replacement parts.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just find them on ebay, and no Apple didn't suddenly start charning absurb prices for things, they always have. Its just fun to say they turned into something differernt when they're behaving as they always have.

I mean when they rolled out the original Macintosh, you needed a special tool to open it up, done so to prevent hobbyiests from touching the innards. That was considered pretty stupidard and selfish on their part and that was way back in 1984

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Apple do no minor repairs, thats their policy they will replace a keyboard for a key and a bottom plate for a foot missing, its the consequence of their popularity, they have many poorly trained techs that can do specific things, replace a logic board replace a top or bottom case or replace a screen. That's all they are taught to do, its quick, its cheap, its dirty and the replaced bits just go to recycling.

As mentioned above just buy some new feet on eBay and replace them yourself they just stick on.

Out of warranty repairs from apple are not worth it unless you can get a standard charge on a logic board or screen and they were only ever available in the US and canada anyway.

5. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Ever consider furniture feet from a dollar store?

6. theluggage macrumors 68040

To be fair, touching the wrong bit of innards on an original Mac could get you a fatal 20,000V surprise, even after it had been turned off and unplugged. The "special tool" was just an extra-long-shafted Torx screwdriver and widely available or bodgeable - just enough to deter casual tinkerers, really.

I think the difficulty of repairing some Apple products is entirely due to their obsession with making things small and light (so: in the original Mac, having an internal box around the display circuitry and its dangerous, persistent high voltages would have added bulk and weight). When you're trying to shave of a millimetre, glue takes up less space than a screw.

In the past, Apple have also gone the extra mile to make some of the easiest machines to work on: the original Apple II with its clip-on lid, the PowerMac G4 towers, the "chesse grater" PowerMac and the classic Mac Pro all had tool-free access to the innards.

7. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I recommend buying a set of feet from ebay or Amazon, add a dab of glue to the bottom of the new feet, and attach. I've done this several times for people I know.

I don't have this problem because I use a hard shell on my Air and Pro.

8. Queen6, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Apple's solely about $$$ today, being both cheap & greedy. As others have suggested pickup a set online and save your $$$ and frustrations...

Q-6

9. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Find a set of rubber feet on the net (amazon, ebay, etc.) and replace them yourself.

You WILL need the proper sized screwdriver for the screws on the back panel.
    Go to ifixit.com and you can find out that info.
    They may even have a repair guide for it.

10. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Hard shells have much worse foot problems.

11. raqball macrumors 68000

I'm sorry but I have to completely disagree here.. Do you not see the insanity of charging someone $300 to replace .25 cent rubber feet?

12. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Yeah, but that's too much like common sense, after all Tim & Co are ever hungry for the "gravy" so much so they'll be charging for the box and admission to the Apple Store next o_O

"Cheap & greedy my Ass" where's Apple's resident clown when we need him most :p

Q-6

13. raqball macrumors 68000

Yeah I made that comment a year or so ago in a MacBook Pro thread and was called all sorts of names but it's true.. What's next? Want the box? That's an extra $79.99...

14. chabig macrumors 603

Do you know how much it would cost to manufacture, inventory, catalog, and globally distribute all of the individual small parts that comprise an entire product line? The consumer ends up paying for those things rather than the part itself. Those so-called $.25 feet would end up rightly costing $20 at least, probably more.

15. raqball macrumors 68000

You've got be joking.... I hope....

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you're off target. Apple isn't looking to extract 300 dollars for a simple rubber feet replacement, but rather they may not have a defined workflow to change out the rubber feet (because it happens so rarely), so their only option is to replace the entire bottom case.

17. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Same as myriads of other multinational companies do; cost effectively as they value their customer's...

Q-6

18. raqball macrumors 68000

Well.... Funny story but I had a screw come loose on my Lenovo X1C a while back. Called Lenovo and they sent me a screw kit for free.. They didn't try and extract $300 from me for the kit and they sent it, overnight I might add, for free...

I suppose Lenovo could have constructed the machine in such a way that the screw would be $300 to replace but they didn't...

19. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Don't forget the cellophane, handling charge, let's make it an even $100, and another $20 for the courtesy charge :p

Q-6

20. chabig macrumors 603

I’m not. Have you ever purchased auto parts from a dealer’s parts department?

21. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Oh no, Apple won't repair your OUT OF WARRANTY DEVICE? :eek:

Way back yonder years ago I brought an HP laptop that came with a horrible defect that meant the GPU failed on them with alarming regularity. Even after admitting this was an issue then still did everything they could to prevent folk from getting repairs and even then, their solution was to replace the GPU with a much more inferior (and lower powered) version.

And that was still covered by the warranty at the time.

If you think Apple are the most Nickel-and-diming company on earth then please, do not think of flying. Or getting a cable service, or cell phone service or...

22. raqball macrumors 68000

LOL... So this is the example used to justify Apple charging $300 for a slice of rubber that cost them a few pennies?

23. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Need to get Tim involved ASAP, he'll fix that one in a snap, and Phil no doubt be right by his side. Fully able to justify why you cant have 32 screws, with 16 more than adequate for anyone's needs, lest you risk the notebook being far too heavy :p

Q-6

24. raqball macrumors 68000

I get it, Apple is a company that needs to make a profit. Their concern is not for the consumer but in answering to the board and shareholders... Sometimes, like in this instance, it's absolute insanity to even ask a customer to pay $300 to get the rubber feet on there machine replaced..

Apple need to seriously rethink how they are building these machines if thats the outcome of replacing rubber feet......

25. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

Yes they are and a very good one. Thermostat went out on my car so The gauge would read cold if on the highway. Dealer wanted $325 to replace. Went to autozone $5.18 for the part and about 20 minutes of my time and it’s fixed and works great.