New here and dont know how to program!

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Loob, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Loob macrumors newbie

Hello forum, whats going on.

As you can see, I'm new here on the forum,

So I have any questions I hope you can answer me.

I would really like to develop iDevice applications, but the problem is that I dont know how to program in Objective C, I do not have any programming experience. I've heard that Objective C is a difficult language for beginner, but I will only program in Objective C and I will only make iphone applications, but what do you recommend in.

Thank you.

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I'm sorry, this is like the 24th post this week, asking the exactly same question, woopwoop.
    Like every1 will answer (again). So I will save you the time, they will tell you hello welcome to the forum then, to read the stickies on top of this forum which will set you on the way. get some books, read through them, then if ur comforted with the language, go get the Kochans programming book. Then if you have questions, u can put well-formulated questions on here, and we can help you out.
    Ok. have a nice day.

3. Loob, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

Loob thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for that, and thank you.

But du you recomende me, starting up with obj right away, i dont have any experience or......

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Get a C book is in General the most recommended way, Objective C is a superset of C. So u need the ground rules. Then move on (I did it the complete wrong way, never programmed, went straight into Objective C, and I regret it).
    Just saying ;)

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I agree. I always recommend people learn at least enough C to know what a pointer is, the precedence rules for operators and the complete syntax before moving on to Objective-C.

6. Loob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, can you recommend som C books, i have c for dummies, is that enough or....?

Thank you again, guys

Last thing, what is the most effective way to learn programming? and
    what does it require by me?

Thanks again.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

When I was at University the book we were recommended/required to buy was A Book on C. I found it to be very good but if you like the "For Dummies" series it may be a little dry and to the point.

Learning to program requires significant amounts of logical thought, the ability to break problems down into simpler and simpler problems to form the solution and frequently the ability to withstand huge amounts of frustration and confusion when things don't appear to work.

I would also say that whilst I was a lab demonstrator at University a significant number of the 1st years taking Computer Science classes failed to learn to program at all. In the same way that some people can't paint or can't sing some people simply can't learn to program...

8. soco macrumors 68030

soco

As a vocal trainer, I agree with this 1000%.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The answers to this question are as diverse as the people trying to do the learning. Everybody learns things differently. What may work stunningly for one person might cause another to go down in flames.

A better question would be "What is the most effective way for me to learn programming?" And that should be followed-up with an explanation of what types of learning have worked for you in the past.

Here's the tip of the iceberg for various ways to learn: formal instruction, books, videos, tutorials, understanding and tinkering with sample code. And the list goes on...

If you can provide us more information on how you like to learn, we can try to provide more information of how to be more effective at it.

10. francis21 macrumors member

Well, according to many people, as what i would also recommend: start with C first, then go to Objective C afterwards. Some books provide objective c contents, but they provide the basics of C at the same time. One of the books that i'm currently reading does this job.

11. Loob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the commentes,

I have sitting with my dummie book in 2 hours, an boy, The c language is exciting. I can wait for making some serious programming, thank you again.