New here and need help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by violetgoose, Mar 22, 2011.

1. violetgoose macrumors member

violetgoose

Hello Apple community,

This is my first post so I am definitely still an iPhone n00b. I HAD an unlocked 3G on 3.1.3 but was stupid enough to upgrade it to 4.2 via iTunes... Thought I knew what I was doing, but for some reason, my phone is stuck on recovery mode whenever I try to plug it back in, even after several attempts of putting it in DFU mode (I had to call Apple Support and he just told me a few tips... I didn't want to pay the $29 fee). I thought I could also restore it, but it won't restore, no matter what... Says an unknown error occurs (#1015).

What should I do? The screen is only of the iTunes logo and a picture of a USB cord on a black screen, with the white arrow in the middle. Won't even turn on w/out that popping up. I really want to try to fix it at home on my computer instead of taking it to an Apple Genius at the store. But I guess worst comes to worst I may have to do that.

Thanks for any advice/help!!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Download tiny umbrella to your PC. Once Itunes give you a 1015 error at the end of restore. Open tiny umbrella and hit "kick device out of recovery mode". Your phone should boot up normally.

3. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Thanks. I am doing that right now. So I just press "Exit Recovery", right? B/c I did that and the error 1015 is still coming up and the screen still has the iTunes logo and USB cord. Sorry for my incompetence! I will try again though.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It should not be. Once you hit "Kick device out of recovery mode", the phone will boot up normally and give you the emergency call screen.

5. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

The only button I pressed was Exit Recovery... I don't see a Kick Device out of Recovery. Mode. Are they the same thing?

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Which version TinyUmbrella do you have? I have version v4.1.6.

on the right hand side, underneath the " Display SHSHs", it should have "kick device out of recovery" button. you should hit that button.

7. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

I just read another forum and one person who had the same problem as me rebooted his phone, and then the emergency call screen showed up. I feel like I am missing a lot of steps here bc it's been working for other people and SHOULD work except for my phone! :(

8. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

4.30.03. I see "save shsh" and "start tss server".

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

10. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

I am actually confused now bc in the instructions, it says "restore to 4.2.1 or 4.3". I can't restore, period. That's what I've been trying to do all day today but I am so fed up I don't even think I can use this phone anymore bc I give up. That is the main issue, lol.

11. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Well *****, was I supposed to put my SIM card in? Bc I just did (it was previously in my backup phone, which was my Blackberry) and now I am going to see what will happen. Will that make a difference at all?

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Did you get your phone to the activating screen? Are you with AT&T? if you do, just put your sim card in and it should activate your phone to the home screen. if you are with other carrier, your sim will not work.

you can activate the phone with inactive(cancel) AT&T sim as well.

13. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Oh crap. I am not w/ AT&T. I use Tmobile. Dang it! Now I have to find someone w/ an AT&T SIM card and borrow theirs! That might take a while then.

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.6b6 and it will activate your phone. However, since your phone has 4.2.1 IOS on it, the baseband now is 05.15, you can't unlock it so you can use with T-Mobile. Unless go with the Ipad baseband which you will face issue with loosing GPS.

15. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

The thing is, I am not sure if my phone HAS 4.2.1 or not. Can I still JB even w/ that itunes & usb & arrow screen aka in "recovery mode" (I think that's what it's called?) Seems like it's stuck there.

16. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Hm well I just downloaded the .ipsw of 3.1.3, didn't seem to work w/ Redsn0w (said they couldn't find it) so now I am going to dl it in 4.2.1... maybe that will work? I apologize for asking so many questions and for my idiocy. Haha.

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

with 3.1.3 you have to use redsn0w 0.9.4 and you need to click on 3.1.2 when it ask for the firmware.

18. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Ohh, okay I see. Just a different number and everything. Well, so I won't need to borrow someone's at&t sim card then? Also, would you suggest upgrading to 4.2.1 or stay w/ 3.1.3? I was much happier w/ the iOS3's speed, but I have heard iOS4 slows down the 3G so I am a bit cautious and afraid to proceed, tbh. Thanks again!:p

19. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

3.1.3 works best for 3G.

Why don't you jailbreak your phone and then see what the baseband you have. My worry is that because you restore to 4.2.1, you have 05.15 baseband on it already. Therefore, even you downgrade it down to 3.1.3, you still can't unlock it with ultrasn0w because it will not work for this baseband.

Once you can go to setting to check your baseband and if it 05.13 or below, then you are good with using ultrasn0w to unlock your phone.

20. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Wow, THANK YOU SO MUCH, Crystal! You are truly wonderful. The jailbreak was a success - FOR NOW. (Still processing) I did upgrade it to 4.2.1 though, but I wonder if there is any way to downgrade it IF I come across any major trouble (slowness/having the Springboard crash is mainly what I am scared of... I've had that happen to me before the first time I got it and I was fed up w/ it crashing 30 times a day).

I will let you know if I have encountered any problems and also tell you what baseband it is, etc. I am sure all that information will make more sense to you than it does for me!

21. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, you can always downgrade your 3G to 3.x.x firmware because it doesn't need a SHSH blob. However, during the downgrade, you will face the 1015 error and all you need to do is using tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery.

22. jennimajor macrumors newbie

Something that I am close to. If you don't mind Buying a new phone from Best Buy Coupons, and use GSM, buy one that is a "quad-band" That will assure that it will work over here. You will also need to contact your carrier to make sure that you can roam internationally. It may or may not be cost effective to do this, I don't know what the cost of the Trac-phones are, but they typically either use Cingular or Verizon's network.
    If you plan on using a lot of airtime, make sure you do a cost analysis before hand, it may be cheaper to buy a new handset at home that is capable than doing the pre-paid thing.Some thing at discount definitely workout

23. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Ok. Once I get to that, I will let you know (hope you are okay w/ PMing or at least going back to this thread? Lol).

Well something funny happened. I followed the directions on another website and I THOUGHT the jailbreak was a success but it kept going back to that iTunes logo screen. Would I still need an AT&T SIM card? I put mine in and the screen still showed up (the "recovery mode"). ACK! Just when I thought things were getting better...

24. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Is your phone at the activation (emergency call) screen or the recovery screen?

also, what did you use to jailbreak? can you give me steps you go through?

25. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Nope. Still at recovery.

I used redsn0w... exactly what you told me (even copied and pasted it so there was no typo). They told me to find the .ipsw, which I did, turned it off, put in DFU mode, checked on Cydia box, and the screen was even white and then turned into that pineapple screen and it was running but then right after that the recovery screen popped up and nothing else.

edit // they also said something about slide to power off, which never showed up... I just turned it off using the power key on top.