Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Hi

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong area.

I have received a Mac Air Notebook from Father Christmas and I have just attempted to download ibank5 and I successfully managed to purchase it rather than do the 30 day free trial, no matter as there is a 90 day money back guarantee.

The problem I have is that all the functions do not seem to be there and also I have manually added one of my accounts but think possibly the way to go would be to import my data from Microsoft Money. I have been a Microsoft Money user since 1998 although I believe my data pre 2000 was archived. I was not thinking about bringing everything over just maybe a couple of years worth or so. I am now thinking that as I have managed to make a bit of a hash of it that I should delete the application and reinstall and start from scratch. Does anyone know if that is possible or will I get charged again.

We do have an iMac but my husband would not partition it to allow me to run Microsoft Money on it so hence I have continued to use it on a laptop. I have been aware though that I need to move away from MM as it is now so cumbersome to use on my husbands old laptop and I wanted to get something that I could synch with the iMac, iPad, iPhone and Mac Air Notebook.

Grateful for any help or guidance.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I used MS Money myself for MANY years, and I never found a really good alternative.

Mint was the closest I came to finding a real MS money alternative in the Web 2.0 era. i.e. a cloud version, but now my accounts are simple enough that just using web banking is generally enough.

B

Sorry, I've never even heard of that software. You might want to re-post in this forum, since I don't think your question is specific to the MacBook Air.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/2/

MOD NOTE: I moved the thread and edited the title.

B

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does anyone know if that is possible or will I get charged again.

As long as you saved the registration code they gave you, you could just reenter that and be in good shape.

But you don't need to delete the application. Just delete the iBank data file you were using (usually defaults to the Documents folder) and go to this menu and start a new iBank document. That will be like starting over again.

CiL2WVj.png

Go back to MS Money and export everything you want to move over to one QIF file. Then move that file to the Mac and import it into iBank.

http://www.iggsoft.com/manuals/iBank_5_Manual.pdf

Download the iBank 5 manual from this link and it has step by step instructions that will help you with the import.

The problem with any of these imports is they inevitably end up looking odd in the new app because of the different ways categories are assigned. I often find it it cleaner to start fresh with the new app and keep the old data in an archived file.

Here is what I did. I setup a new document in iBank then in iBank logged in to my bank and imported all the data they had (I think it went back six months). I went through that imported data and assigned the iBank categories I wanted. That is my current iBank document I now use.

Then I created a second iBank document and imported the QIF file to that document and saved it. I just set this second iBank document aside and never use it unless I need to look back at an old transaction.

kazd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
As long as you saved the registration code they gave you, you could just reenter that and be in good shape.

But you don't need to delete the application. Just delete the iBank data file you were using (usually defaults to the Documents folder) and go to this menu and start a new iBank document. That will be like starting over again.

Go back to MS Money and export everything you want to move over to one QIF file. Then move that file to the Mac and import it into iBank.

http://www.iggsoft.com/manuals/iBank_5_Manual.pdf

Download the iBank 5 manual from this link and it has step by step instructions that will help you with the import.

The problem with any of these imports is they inevitably end up looking odd in the new app because of the different ways categories are assigned. I often find it it cleaner to start fresh with the new app and keep the old data in an archived file.

Here is what I did. I setup a new document in iBank then in iBank logged in to my bank and imported all the data they had (I think it went back six months). I went through that imported data and assigned the iBank categories I wanted. That is my current iBank document I now use.

Then I created a second iBank document and imported the QIF file to that document and saved it. I just set this second iBank document aside and never use it unless I need to look back at an old transaction.

Thank you that sounds like a really good idea. Initially I opted for manual downloading as I didn't intend to download direct from the bank at all. I usually input the data from my receipts, I have all my direct debit and standing orders set up in a bills list so already categorised but having watched the tutorial I might just opt to download from the bank. It's just that I will have to have the receipts to hand so that I can ensure they are in the correct categories. For e.g. I have a Gifts category with sub categories for each of my children. Same for clothes etc.

I had intended to just start from the last statement for each account. It is just a bit overwhelming trying to work out the new application having used MS for the last 16 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.