New here and to Macs, decisions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TrboMac, Aug 9, 2012.

1. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

Hey all, I just joined here as I'm needing a new computer. I've been wanting to go Mac for years and now's the time.

My girlfriend got a Macbook Pro last year and loves it. I'm coming from a Toshiba laptop, so I started my search w/ MPP's. I went through Craigslist, etc. dealing w/ scams and flakes. I almost purchased a couple but couldn't seal the deal...

Then my attention went to iMacs since I don't take my current laptop out much anymore. I found a mid 2010 iMac I'm thinking about getting. It's a baseline 21.5" model (3.06ghz/i3, 4GB ram, 500GB HD, etc).

He was asking $1000 for it but I talked him down to $900. I may be able to go lower since I can get a refurb for around $925 w/ the warranty. An Ebay search showed them going between mid $700-$900 and a few above.

I also thought about the new baseline 21" i5's which are around $1200 or so. And I also see the rumor says to wait but I don't know if my old Toshiba can!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. ZacT94 macrumors regular

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

The new iMacs are supposedly right around the corner, so if you can wait a little bit, that would be best.

If you want one now, I would definitely get a refurbished iMac through Apple's website. They're guaranteed to work and come with a year warranty. You really can't go wrong. People think their stuff is worth way more than it is.

If you are going to spend the money on a baseline, wait a little bit for the refresh... if you want. However, the current model should be more than enough for your needs.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Dont buy that iMac - I would not pay $700 for it!

I might pay 700 if it still had at least 1 year warranty.

5. CalgaryTechGuy macrumors newbie

Macs do hold their value quite well, but given the choice the refurb is the better deal. Apple warranty (Apple Care) is awesome and well worth the extra $25 (new it is a $200-300 add-on).

6. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

I can't remember the exact year I got it, but it's about 7yrs. old! I can't believe it's been going this long. It's to the point where videos are not playing well (I don't have a TV but use Hulu), internet can be slow at times but otherwise decent. I don't know how much longer it'll hold out...

Yes, this I know... I just don't know how much longer I can hold out w/ my slow laptop.. I hear you on the refurb and that people try to get top dollar; can't blame them but they should be willing to go down.

The new baseline should be at a similar price as the current when released, yes? I also agree the current model should be enough for my needs, afterall, I'm using a 7yr. old PC laptop! There was a time I recorded music on my computer; still do some but very little as my band mate has a studio now.

Hah, I hear you. He took really good care of it and all, but it is a duo core i3.. probably still enough for my computing needs, but the new/refurb i5's are around his price. I'm not sure if he has any warranty left.

With this and the above, I may state my case to him (that I can buy a new/refurb for around his price and the new models are around the corner) make an offer, and see what he says. If that doesn't work then I have to decide between a new refurb or holding out for the new baseline..

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's only a $25 difference for the refurb. That's nothing since you are guaranteed peace of mind from Apple.

8. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

I'm starting to lean the refurb way. Some people have a misconception w/ refurbs, but my Toshiba laptop is in fact one too.

Part of me still wants to wait for the new iMacs, but again, my computing needs are fairly basic, although I want it to last as long as possible before upgrading.

What's the ETA on the new iMacs? I think the rumor said around October or so? I know there's no g'tee, just rumor ;)

----------

Another vote for refurb, yes, you're right. If the guy is willing to come down to say, $700 for the i3 I may bite.. I was thinking $800 but now after all the advice, his is probably more viable around the 7 mark. Yes?

----------
    Update:
    Well they took the $925 refurb i3 off the Apple site, guess it sold. I understand they update the site daily. Now the current cheapest iMac is a refurb i5 baseline for $1000.

Guess my choice is to barter w/ the i3 guy or wait for the new iMac (or keep searching Craigslist).

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Apple refurb site gets updated all the time. When you see what you want though just order. They don't hang around for long. You may even get extra RAM or stuff as I have read a few storys on heat when people got more than they were supposed to on a refurb.

10. ZacT94 macrumors regular

Wow! My Toshiba lasted 3 years and died on me in March. I bought the rMBP in July. Thank God I had my phone and tablet to last me the 4 months.

11. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

Yeah, most laptops, PC's anyhow, are designed to last 3-4yrs. I had a virus that I thought killed it; put the factory restore disc in and it was fine. Then the fan got clogged and almost fried it but I caught it in enough time.

I notice the new Toshiba laptops are built much cheaper than mine. It's time to go Mac!

12. ZacT94 macrumors regular

Exactly. That is why I made the switch. I was going to go with Asus because of their build quality and good designs, but I was considering Apple for the same reasons and the longer battery life and when the rMBP came out, that just confirmed my decision to switch to Mac. Now I don't think I will go back to PC, even though I like PC.

13. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

Especially on an iMac. Way too many things can go wrong. I would highly suggest you purchase the additional Applecare also.

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

http://refurb.me - it tracks the inventory of Apple's refurb site and will alert you by email when the model you want comes in stock.

Edit: Further, the 2.5ghz is only $70 more with a better GPU and a quad core processor (and i5 vs i3 and a newer generation of chips). I would really consider the extra $70 bucks if you can swing it....

15. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

I'm starting to lean toward the i3 (I know); I talked him down to a price I'm comfortable w/.

Reason? My computing needs are light and while the quad core would be nice, I don't know that I need it. Also, the extra money I'd have left could be put toward an iPad for mobile needs.

But I also hear the need for a warranty...

16. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

Well, I decided not to get the i3 and wait. I'll hold out as long as I can. If I get in an emergency I'll get a refurb, if not I'll see if they release new iMacs this fall.

I also wasn't that impressed w/ the screen resolution for the i3. Is it noticeably better w/ the new iMacs? My gf's 13" MBP is pretty sharp..

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

If the prices are close, always pay a little more to get the warranty. Just wait for a month of so...if not, get a laptop and use an external monitor.

18. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Wait till sep 12 to make a decision. Nebertheless, I recomend getting BRAND NEW Macs

19. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

Yes, that's my plan unless my laptop craps out before then, which I hope it doesn't.