New Here. Apple Care Question/Recommendation...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac-Pan, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mac-Pan macrumors newbie

Good Day,

I am new here and need some advice on Apple Care, also I just want to share to the world how happy I am to finally get a new Mac!!

Here is my story and a bit of a rant on how expensive it is to buy a Mac in Japan. After a long decision I f...i...n...a...l...l...y upgraded my Powerbook G4 1.0 Ghz (which still runs great in a five year old Powerbook G4 kind of way) to a new Unibody Macbook 2.4 (upgraded to 4 GB RAM and 500GB Seagate Momentus 7200RPM *currently in the mail-I hope!) and 24" LED Apple Cinema.

I am Canadian and live in Japan, my pay cheques are paid in Yen so I wanted to take advantage of the excellent exchange rate at the moment CAD/JPY. I wasn't prepared to pay *184,800 Yen ($2,375 CAD) for the upper end Macbook from Japan when I could get it from Canada for much cheaper. So I bought a refurb Macbook from the Canada Apple Store ($1549/120,469 Yen) and had it shipped out here by ma and pa (God love them!).

I purchased the "24 LED from Yahoo Auction in Japan for roughly 80,000 Yen/$1000 CAD so I picked them both up for roughly the same price as the Macbook alone here in Japan (grand total of 200,000 Yen), so all and all a decent discount compared to what I would have paid in Japan for that same setup, I am all smiles:D.

So with the exchange rate in my court I would also like to buy Apple Care coverage sometime within the year for both the Macbook and Cinema Display, preferably from Canada because of the obvious currency advantage.

So.... will a Canada bought Apple Care Display Plan work for an Apple display sold in Japan? Can my Canada bought Macbook be serviced in Japan on a Canada Bought Apple Care Plan or do I have to ship it to Canada or to the States?

Any takers?

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

First off, congratulations on your new purchase, your going to love it! I'm actually going to be picking up the 24 inch Apple display also..

On to your AppleCare question... As far as I know, AppleCare is AppleCare. I dont think it matters where you purchase it. Although your best bet would still be to call Apple and double check.

3. eneisch macrumors 6502

I believe the answer is yes.

From the US Apple site for Applecare:

"The AppleCare Protection Plan provides global repair coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians around the world – perfect whether you work at a desk or travel with your Mac. Service options may include the following:*

Take your Mac to an Apple Retail Store or other Apple Authorized Service Provider

Mail in your Mac using a pre-paid shipping box provided by Apple"

I bought my Applecare warranty on eBay and saved about 50% compared to buying directly from Apple. According to the listings on eBay:

"Bumper-to-Bumper Coverage WorldWide - Extends your Original 1 Year Warranty up to 3 Years - As Long as Your Mac is Still Covered under the Orig. Warranty :)!

Works in Europe, USA, Asia, Australia, Canada - WorldWide - As Long as Your Mac is STILL under the Original 1 Yr Warranty - Very Important! :)"

4. Mac-Pan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello and thanks so much for your quick replies! I had read through the Apple Care part on Apple's site and one would think it should be covered but I wouldn't put it past them to have some tiny loop hole in there. I guess that is what I am trying to find out, however one would think an Apple branded product should be covered by it's own protection plan despite where it is purchased. At some point during the year I will pop into an Apple Store and ask the sales staff and see what they have to say however I am sure they will try to push the Japanese Applecare on me.

As much as I love Apple I have had a couple of iPod's that failed me after the first year. It's like they plan them to do that knowing most people don't spring for the extra cash for Apple Care (or do they?). Anyway my screen went on a 30 GB iPod Video (fifth generation) in the 13th month and they were asking me to pay $200 to replace the screen, thanks but no thanks! Also now on my iPod Touch (1st gen) the wi-fi ceased to work (grayed out) also at the 13 month point, again outside of the one year warranty. It is still usable but barely, draining my battery very quickly even when not in use.

So this time around I will give in and get the Apple Care for the piece of mind on this much larger purchase:rolleyes:.

5. raremage macrumors 6502a

If you strictly read these boards you might get the impression that all experiences with Apple Support (whether taking you mac to a genius bar or not) are universally torturous experiences.

The problem is that the worst experiences lead to the biggest complaints - while few people ever boast about the great care they received. My personal experiences have always been pretty good - knowledgeable tech, friendly, really want to help, not trying to "protect" Apple from repair costs. Others have had poor experiences. So it's likely to vary, but from what I have observed and based on personal experience, support has been pretty good, and extending Applecare is usually worth it - for me, anyhow.

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Thats not all true. I've had great experiences with Apple Care.
    Example, My battery on my Aluminum MB took a crap about a month after me buying it. I went to the Apple store in Chandler AZ and they determined I needed a new battery. Of course my luck they didnt have any new batteries so they were willing to replace my whole computer just because of the battery. I declined the offer due to 'defects' that people were having so I decided I would come back another time. Then on my way out of the store the Genius came running out after me saying they just got a shipment of batteries! So in the end I ended up getting my battery replaced but my point is that Apple was going to give me a brand new (not like my MB was old) MacBook just so I would leave happy.
    In my opinion customer service dosent get any better than that!! :D