New here! Buying a new MacbookPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shahar0z, Jan 22, 2014.

  1. shahar0z macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2014
    #1
    Hi guys!
    I figured it's time to move up to the new retina. i own an old 2008 model (just replaced a burned gpu a couple of days ago and the whole logic board three years ago. its still running)
    currently im working on an i5 2.53 2010 model (with 8gb ram)
    im a film student so most of my work is around adobe avid and final cut (a bit of smoke and nuke but im still learning)
    is it a good time to buy a new one? im thinking of getting the new 15" 2.3 GHz with the 2gb graphics (which will be an amazing upgrade from my 256mb)
    what do you think??

    thanks a lot!
    Shahar
     
  2. macs4nw, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

    macs4nw macrumors 601

    macs4nw

    #2
    It's always a good time to buy a new machine if you have the funds. And that 15" 2.3GHz i7 with the discrete graphics, is a great machine for what you want to do with it, although not cheap of course. If you have your mind set on it, go for it. If you are thinking about upgrading the processor, I personally wouldn't entertain that. You'd probably get more of a performance boost from the (more expensive) storage upgrade.

    Having said all that, you have a fairly new MoBo, and a new GPU for your 2008 unit, and you also have your faster 2010 model; if that MBP runs fairly well for the time being, why not bide your time until June or July when new rMBPs could be making an appearance. The current model, while a great laptop, is halfway thru it's (update) cycle, and the new models will be better, faster, etc., that's a given. Also SSDs may have come down a bit more, making your wait that much more worthwhile. Cheers!
     
  3. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

    Intelligent

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2013
    #3
    If you can afford it then diffidently upgrade.
     
  4. shahar0z thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2014
    #4
    My dad wants to help me buy it. but he asked if i don't think i should wait for the new cycle.
    I think i'll buy it now :)

    Thanks guys!
     

Share This Page