New here.. Looking for advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KriStellar26, Sep 14, 2015.

1. KriStellar26 macrumors member

I have been reading some of the threads on here ever since the announcement of the new iPhones. Before I heard about the new phones I wasn't even considering upgrading. But the camera updates especially are very tempting.. Anyway, I am on Verizon's Edge program, which has since changed. I got my iPhone 6 (64 GB Silver) last Sept so it's about a year old. I am eligible to either pay 37 bucks and turn my phone in to upgrade OR I can buy it and own it for 337 - then upgrade. I was thinking I could possibly sell it? But I know nothing about selling used phones. I see a lot of postings on eBay that say factory unlocked and I have no idea what that means. So first I am unsure how I would list it. And I wonder if it would even be worth it. Are they worth more than 337 after being used for a year? Any help is appreciated. Just trying to see what my options are. Thanks in advance!

2. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

If the phone was bought from Apple the phone is factory unlocked if it's a Verizon model. If you do list it on eBay make sure to specify it's a factory unlocked Verizon phone as these have the most value. Looking at current sale prices they are going for about $450-550 for 64GB so it would definitely be worth buying and selling and then using the extra money towards your next iPhone

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

It is worth more than $337 - but may not be worth the hassle for you. Especially - if you have no experience selling online or locally (CL). But you would be leaving a lot of money on the table.

You may want to look at possible trade in prices - for example. Amazon pays $420-440 currently for a iPhone 6 64GB Verizon (price depends on color) if its in "Like New" Condition - requires all the original packaging, etc.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I cannot speak to value or where to sell as selling is not something I have ever done for any of my phones.

So, I will just answer your question about unlocking.

A factory unlocked iPhone (or any phone factory unlocked for that matter) means that the phone is not restricted to one specific carrier. If a different carrier allows it and the phone supports that carrier's cellular frequencies a factory unlocked phone can be used on that network.

The flip side is a phone that comes locked to a carrier. Carriers often lock phones to their networks because they want to ensure that the device is paid for or they don't want you leaving. Making it very difficult for you to leave by forcing you to pay for a phone that will work on your new carrier is a tactic carriers use to keep you as their customer.

Verizon iPhones that are LTE capable come factory unlocked. So, your iPhone right now is unlocked. The reason for that is that Verizon has an agreement with the FCC for using LTE on the frequency it uses. So, all LTE capable Verizon iPhones must come unlocked

The value of an unlocked iPhone is more than a locked iPhone because it means you can take it to any carrier at your discretion.

Hopefully that explains it somewhat.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

The three best avenues for selling your phone are Swappa, eBay, or Craigslist.

All three take some degree of effort. You can put forth said effort and come out about $150-$250 ahead of where you would be if you just traded/turned it in. Some people like the convenience of just turning it in. Others get great satisfaction from saving as much money as possible.

Pick the option that suits you best.

6. KriStellar26 thread starter macrumors member

Wow thank you everyone for your very quick responses! I will consider everything when I make a decision. From what I have read I think I have determined that my phone is factory unlocked. It was purchased through Verizon, but it is LTE enabled.. So if I understood correctly that alone means it must be unlocked? I am glad to know I have options though, thanks again!

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's correct, all Verizon iPhones since the iPhone 5 come factory unlocked (no matter where/how you purchase them).

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Cool -- I'm glad you found some answers on here! I'm feeling a little sentimental. This place should be about helping each other out.