New here, need some help for an external monitor please...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booross, Dec 6, 2012.

1. booross macrumors newbie

Hello*

I have a macbook pro, 13" 10.6.8 -

I want to run Steven Slate Drums in my Garage Band. I unfortunately did not read the part where it said that I needed a 'Minimum' resolution of 1280x1024 resolution. What I have is 1280x800 max. What (& if) kind of external screen can be linked with this computer where I would maybe be able to 'mirror' the image but using a higher resolution via the external screen so that I can run my SSD4?
    Also- if anyone can help with this answer, what connections and such will I need? I apologize for my ignorance concerning this issue. I am not the most tech savvy when it comes to these things-

Thank you in advance- hope someone is able to help. :confused:

J
    ps feel free to contact me via my email if you choose also-
    petsoundz66@yahoo.com

2. stevelam, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

stevelam macrumors 65816

seriously? what an unbelievable lack of foresight by whoever developed that plugin.

either way, looks like they realize what a stupid mistake they made and are going to implement a scrollbar.

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4755

also, you need to say what year your macbook is from. that'll determine the video connection you need. its probably going to be mini displayport. as for monitor? i'm sure any semi-modern monitor will work just fine (that has a minimum of 1280x1024 res of course)

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Assuming it has minidisplayport or thunderbolt, any HDMI or DVI monitor should work fine with it, with an adapter. If it has a little D-shaped port about 1/4 wide, that's probably minidisplayport; if it has a little lightning-looking icon, it's thunderbolt. They use the same connectors, but thunderbolt can talk to a couple more kinds of displays.

If you want to use a 2560x1600 display (or anything else over 1920x1200) you need a "dual-link DVI" adapter, which is more expensive and also needs a free USB port for power.

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I bought a Dell u2412M 1920x1200 display about three weeks ago and couldn't be happier, I just recommended it to a guy a work today who's thinking and building a new rig.

5. booross, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

booross thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I had to do a serial search for year of my computer since it's been a 'whole' 2 years and all- my brain needs latest update.:rolleyes:

it is from March, 2010. These are my 'inputs'
    MagSafe power port
    Gigabit Ethernet port
    One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
    Mini DisplayPort
    Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
    SD card slot
    Audio in/out

So first off thank you for all the info and responses, I really appreciate it!

"seriously? what an unbelievable lack of foresight by whoever developed that plugin."

Yeah that is my response just the same! I was too eager to get this plugin without really even researching 'it's faults' as I am slowly finding out there are some good ones out there. Plus a complete lack of ANY tech support via "in the now, with say a live person" let alone you can't even leave a message- their box is full-:rolleyes: crazy- but thank you for the link!

"Assuming it has minidisplayport or thunderbolt, any HDMI or DVI monitor should work fine with it, with an adapter. If it has a little D-shaped port about 1/4 wide, that's probably minidisplayport; if it has a little lightning-looking icon, it's thunderbolt. They use the same connectors, but thunderbolt can talk to a couple more kinds of displays."

Yeah, I actually have that connector... for the minidisplayport that I was actually using to run netflix off of my itouch HDMI into this little tv/monitor of sorts. If I hook that up from my MBpro, HDMI into this tv, will it mirror? Although I thought about it, and unlike computer monitors where you can 'choose' the reso you want, this tv did not have it? So I suppose I could just plug it in and try, but I don't think...? um.... well it is a bigger screen than my 13"- I think its 15" HA- either way I could try I spose-
    But thank you as well my friend for your response!

And lastly to GermanyChris- thank you for the model options you listed! That is essentially what I really need to know, for I am not trying to really go big necessarily (professional standards say..) but just something that will allow me to access the SSD4 screen in it's proper fullness- because as of now I am ONE step down, reso wise, from this thing working! Story of my life.HA

Thank you everyone for your quick response! Very helpful!

6. booross thread starter macrumors newbie

Also after some slight searching I saw this:

-Apple Mac Studio M7649 17" LCD Display Flat Panel Computer Monitor G4 G5-

Can I use this with my MBPro?-

on this site they say this:

With the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter, you can attach any Apple flat-panel display featuring an Apple Display Connector (ADC) to a PowerBook G4 with a DVI port, or an additional Apple flat-panel display to a Power Mac G4 with a DVI port.
    The DVI to ADC adapter provides a high-quality, pure-digital connection from your PowerBook G4 or Power Mac G4 to your Apple display.

If so, there are some on eBay for not that much! I am cheap and simple.:D