New Here! Windows 7 Question!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tjlamro, Dec 21, 2009.

1. tjlamro macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am new here. I just bought a macbook pro a few months ago and I love it. However, I do need windows for some things and I am pretty set on installing Windows 7 with bootcamp. A relative of mind bought a dell and was sent the free upgrade discs. He got an oranage disc that says Operating System on the front. It also says Windows 7 Upgrade Option as well as This DVD supports 64-bit edition only.

Lastly it says For Use Only as an Upgrade to a Qualifying Dell Windows 7 Upgrade Option PC. My question is are the setup files on there and everything I need to sucessfully install Windows 7 on my mac? My guess is yes, but I really do not want to mess anything up so I wanted to make sure! It came with a gray disc that has a product key on it and is labled Upgrade Assistant and says Insert this DVD before upgrading to Windows 7. Not sure if that matters or not.

So whats the verdict guys? Can I use this disc or these discs to get myself Windows 7 on my Macbook? Thanks so much for the help!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That disc is only an upgrade disc, meaning you have to have an original copy of Vista, XP, etc.

3. tjlamro thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so what if I downloaded a version of Windows 7 by a torrent and burnt it on a blank DVD? Could I get windows 7 on my mac like that somehow? Anyone done this that could help me out? Just trying to go over my options. Thanks!

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Please refer to the Forum Rules about that question.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

5. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

you might be able to install it but it wont activate.... you will then have to reinstall ( start the installation from within windows ) and that should then activate

6. darkus macrumors regular

it will work, but there are so many updates that will come down the road, many of them important security updates that you wont want to miss, so its worth it to just get a legitimate copy. everything depends on having a stable os, u dont want to loose your data just because you cheaped out of paying for ure os