Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
California
Are these "rips" at the leather seams on the lugs normal? Anything to be worried about longevity wise?

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    757.5 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 799

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't believe so. Could be part of the manufacturing process. I would monitor it and if it worsens, contact Apple. Nice band and Watch by the way.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Mine does that too. Do not worry. If you are concerned, ask for a replacement now rather than later (It won't hurt)

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
My Hermes band looks exactly the same, as does my wife's. So it's either "the way they are" or they're all similarly defective :)

I wouldn't worry about it as the bands are under warranty as you said, and, Hermes in particular has rather legendary customer service (though admittedly they're used to dealing with things at far higher price points). If it worries you you could always ask for an exchange.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I assume he means where the strap loops around the connector. There's a small "Y" shaped gap.

Orien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
California
Yeah, as I mentioned the rips I'm referring to are on the lug areas. It's a little hard to see in the photo, but the one in my first photo ended up tearing further just from wearing it a few more days and now the leather band in that area is splitting into two halves. Not what you want to see for a $1300+ purchase. I ended up returning it - Apple also agreed it was defective.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah, as I mentioned the rips I'm referring to are on the lug areas. It's a little hard to see in the photo, but the one in my first photo ended up tearing further just from wearing it a few more days and now the leather band in that area is splitting into two halves. Not what you want to see for a $1300+ purchase. I ended up returning it - Apple also agreed it was defective.

Jeez well that's not good. Will you get another Hermes? Or going in a different direction?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
84230365c340a5b2cf5ac421c6671cc8.jpg

Well, if OP wants, then i can reluctantly trade him his clearly-defective Hermes band for my Classic Buckle without that HORRIBLE rip. See my band picture. Perfect.

The ball is in OP's court.... :)

Haha. Nice try. :)

You know, I always thought that perfectly round hole on the apple band seemed "manufactured". A little too perfect. Dishonest almost. And not likely to stay perfect.

Just for comparison, here's the a picture of the Hermes band from apple.com. Clearly hand made. Honest construction. Not trying to be "perfect" in some arbitrarily crowd-pleasing way. Just honest. Made by someone who really knows their stuff.

I know which one I'd rather own.

MNHM2_AV1

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Haha. Nice try. :)

You know, I always thought that perfectly round hole on the apple band seemed "manufactured". A little too perfect. Dishonest almost. And not likely to stay perfect.

Just for comparison, here's the a picture of the Hermes band from apple.com. Clearly hand made. Honest construction. Not trying to be "perfect" in some arbitrarily crowd-pleasing way. Just honest. Made by someone who really knows their stuff.

I know which one I'd rather own.

MNHM2_AV1

Dude, my post is sarcastic and kidding. Your writing is humorous and apologetic BTW.

(BTW #2, the lower lug sure looks "manufactured" because the hole is perfectly round. LOL)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Are these "rips" at the leather seams on the lugs normal? Anything to be worried about longevity wise?
That does not look unusual to me. I just picked up a new Hermes strap and it looks the same.

Note that if you wear the strap every day, particularly the Fauve Barenia, it WILL darken over time, quite considerably. It's normal. The Fauve Barenia is untreated leather. The colored bands will also show wear but may not darken nearly as much.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Perhaps not enough glue or the craftsperson didn't put glue all the way up to the lug. I saw a video and pics of them making straps.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Perhaps not enough glue or the craftsperson didn't put glue all the way up to the lug. I saw a video and pics of them making straps.
Nothing handmade will be perfect. That's part of the appeal.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Nothing handmade will be perfect. That's part of the appeal.

I am a huge fan of Hermes...see my posts from before. BUT, this argument does not hold water IMHO. As i have criticize P&Q bands with its crappy quality and poor design, being handmade does NOT mean poorly made. The beauty of handmade is that the leather characteristics, the way the stitching is made, etc. are not the same from one band to the next. But to make a band where the leather literally splits and getting worst (as per OP) with only a few days of wear is 100% unacceptable. No excuses. That is not being handmade...that is piss poor construction.

If you read about leather band and how they make them, then you will see that today's adhesives that they use in leather making is like super glue...very very strong. In fact, "stitching" these days are more for looks than real function.

Before you guys go crazy...know that i have also criticize Apple Classic buckle for some suspect quality control. It took me LITERALLY 3 classic buckles (all 3rd revision) before finding one that agrees with my analness. :D I had loop retainer issue with 2nd revision of CB.

But for a leather band to split despite adhesives and stitching is just poorly made. It has nothing to do with "handmade" value.

The question i have is that is Hermes getting overwhelmed with the push to make these bands for a mass-produced device. Remember, all their previous collaborations have been very very limited editions devices with production of less than 100 (my guess).

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The question i have is that is Hermes getting overwhelmed with the push to make these bands for a mass-produced device. Remember, all their previous collaborations have been very very limited editions devices with production of less than 100 (my guess).

I know. My mom is a pretty good seamstress, and her stuff never comes apart. That's the thing about handmade goods made by good craftspeople, the results are 100% consistent. I mean, each handmade good will be unique, but quality wise, it wouldn't vary. It's not like mass produced goods where a certain percentage is expected to fail. If a Hermes band fell apart, they either skimped on the process, the personnel, or both.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I am a huge fan of Hermes...see my posts from before. BUT, this argument does not hold water IMHO. As i have criticize P&Q bands with its crappy quality and poor design, being handmade does NOT mean poorly made. The beauty of handmade is that the leather characteristics, the way the stitching is made, etc. are not the same from one band to the next. But to make a band where the leather literally splits and getting worst (as per OP) with only a few days of wear is 100% unacceptable. No excuses. That is not being handmade...that is piss poor construction.

If you read about leather band and how they make them, then you will see that today's adhesives that they use in leather making is like super glue...very very strong. In fact, "stitching" these days are more for looks than real function.

Before you guys go crazy...know that i have also criticize Apple Classic buckle for some suspect quality control. It took me LITERALLY 3 classic buckles (all 3rd revision) before finding one that agrees with my analness. :D I had loop retainer issue with 2nd revision of CB.

But for a leather band to split despite adhesives and stitching is just poorly made. It has nothing to do with "handmade" value.

I don't see any splitting in the original image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.