New HHD installed, puzzled on reason for slow start up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reLAXER564, Jun 20, 2009.

1. reLAXER564 macrumors member

reLAXER564

Hey all,

So I Just installed a new HHD (Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS) in my Penryn MBP 4,1 a couple days ago. I successfully cloned the HD using Carbon Copy Cloner and then proceeded to partition the drive and restore my bootcamp partition using winclone. Everything works perfectly and all the data is there however when I boot the machine there seems to be a lot of time spent on a blank grey screen before the apple shows up. With the stock drive installed it would only be a couple seconds before the apple would show up and start spinning but with the new drive it is noticeably slower (by at least 15 seconds). Once the apple logo does show up with the new drive it boots up normally and quite rapidly too, it just takes a while to get to the apple. Any thoughts? Did I forget a setting or perhaps something with jumper settings on the drive? Thanks in advance!

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

This is very common.

Things you need to do to fix it
    1) Make sure your hard drive is selected in Startup Disk (system preferences)
    2) Verify and repair disk permissions (disk utility)

3. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Had this EXACT same issue with my old Macbook.

At the gray screen, it's searching for, and establishing the startup disk. So all you need to do is tell it what the startup disk should always be.

System Preferences > Startup Disk > Mac OS X 10.5.7 blah blah blah.

Then you should be good to go.:)

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If that doesn't work (like it didn't for me) resetting the PRAM might do the trick, did for me.

5. reLAXER564 thread starter macrumors member

reLAXER564

Thanks for the replies I will give these a try

6. reLAXER564 thread starter macrumors member

reLAXER564

I have solved the problem. I made sure it was selected as the boot up drive in system preferences. After some researching I also learned that when forcing the boot manager on start up (holding option) if you hold down control when selecting the drive, the arrow changes to a circle meaning the drive you are selecting becomes the primary boot start up disk. Again thanks for the help.

7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Awesome, thanks for posting back. Good to know (I'm also contemplating a HDD upgrade).