New home; coverage question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JPS, May 14, 2008.

1. JPS macrumors regular

At a house we're moving to, the coverage is at best very spotty, though the ATT map shoes it as "good". The 3G map shows that the area is covered by 3G. Shouldn't this be as as good as a "best" location and provide great coverage to us first generation iPhone users, or does 3G run off of different towers?

Seems somehow contradictory to me.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The resolution of the map isn't up to your expectations. Generally in your area, it's been measured/mathematically predicted to be good. You haven't mentioned whether you're measuring your signal level inside, and where specifically (all te way inside, upstairs etc). Your phone will increase the power it uses to get a better signal once it's trying to use a 3G signal. The better the signal, the less battery gets used generally.

3. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

The coverage is virtually nil inside; if I move outside to a corner of the lot I get a single bar.

I'm wondering, since the map shows 3G coverage, if when I buy iPhone v. 2 I might get superlative coverage. And if the area has 3G, why is the regular coverage so lousy?

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The general area is reported to have decent 3G coverage, your specific spot it seems does not. If you're in the suburbs, check with AT&T to see if they're planning on putting any 3G masts in your area. You might want to check with someone who has a 3G capable phone with AT&T that isn't an iPhone.
    3G iPhone is likely to have better signal reception.

5. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

Of course I don't yet have a 3G iPhone. I'm just wondering if, as the map indicates, it's a 3G zone, then shouldn't the standard cell service be better than just average-to-poor?