New Home Theater

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miracaper, Jul 2, 2010.

1. miracaper macrumors newbie

I am building a new home and would like to simplify my life and home theater multimedia experience. Can anyone point me to a "how to" link or article describing the latest choices? I have over 1300 DVD's (I no longer wish to store these on a wall of shelves) a 100" automatic screen, several HD TV's, several rooms requiring audio including outside living area. I envision the whole family using ipads and touches around the home to access information, movies, audio, recipes in kitchen etc. I am having a heck of a time finding decent information to research my quest! Is there something simple that my wife wont feel like shooting me and the remote controls....

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

That's a rather ambitious project.

You'll have to take it slowly.

Also, do you have ethernet cabling around the house? The only way I can see this working (with you no longer stacking those DVD's) is to have a HD media server plugged into a cabled network (and wireless for iPads).

If you start with something relatively simple like that, then you can continue on - i guess.

Unfortunately, I don't know any links to help you.

3. miracaper thread starter macrumors newbie

New Home Theater

Framing is just starting so I will be able to do any sort of wiring. Someone had told me to use airport express throughout home....but hard wiring seems to make more sense since I have the opportunity. I assume for 1300 DVD's I am going to need a very large server (5TB or more). I have a 2.8Ghz imac with a time capsule as well.

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

Yes, use the opportunity to lay CAT5e/CAT6 cables throughout the house.

Wireless is quite honestly a terrible idea for video transmission, especially if you ever deal with HD movies. Also, the only way that wireless could work out ideally is if the wireless access point is right in the middle of every room that would access it - but that's often an unlikely situation, and with rooms that are further away from the AP, obviously they'll be on a weaker signal with a less-than-smooth viewing experience. Plus, as soon as a wireless signal has to penetrate a wall, it's already receiving a weaker (and hence slower) signal.

Oh, and I just remembered you want audio outside, that's even worse for wireless ;)

Long story short, hardwire your house. Have an ethernet port in every room - it's quite the best thing to do really... Sorta wish I had it done in my house, but this was built over 13 years ago, wasn't a common thing to do back then.

As for the server, yea. You'd need a ~5TB server, which honestly isn't that big with 2TB HDD's being mainstream (read: cheap) and the slow introduction of 3TB devices.