Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Me and my GF are considering buying house together. We have known each other for ever, and been really really good friends for like 6 years and have been dating. We are planning to one day get married, possibly have 1-2 kids.

Anyways, I find my house is too big and too far away from my work (40 min), my GF's house is only a couple years old, and she is not entirely impressed with how it came out. We were hunting around for used houses and we were looking existing houses. We found this already owned house that we really like in Canton. We asked the owner of the house who the architect was and they told us and we got a tour of part of the house.

It is around 4,000 sq feet, wood shingle siding, 3 full baths, 2 1/2 baths, 4 bedroom, office/library, living room, dining room, dual fireplace, bonus room, 3 car garage. This house had a pool and a small barn.

Attachments

• Canton.jpg
    Canton.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 147

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Dude, that house is like the size of my town wtf! Seriously though, it looks sweet. Good for you and your GF is you can afford one like that.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Wow! That house is NICE!

Isn't it a little big for two people, or are y'all planning to stay there and raise

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE, INCOMPLETE POSTS:
allow me to finish, before my powerbook ASPLODES
(I hate you, PowerBook)

...or are y'all planning to stay there and raise your (eventual) family?

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
saabmp3 said:
If that's in Canton MA, that sucker must be well over a half mil. Good luck!

BEN

Half a mill in dollars wtf!! The house I'm living in is less that half the size of that and it's worth 700,000 euro. That's about a million dollars US. The property here is out of control.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hehe, the house my Dad built out here in California is now worth over a million, he built it in 1988. Pretty nice, about 4200 sq. feet.

Nice house EJ, looks very clean and comfortable.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
EJBasile said:
This house had a pool and a small barn.

That's sweet - but lets see more pics of the pool and the small barn - could you use it for something or will it always be a barn? And how much property?

D

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
That is a really nice House. Tow thumbs up.

I love that driveway besides all the other goodies that house has to offer.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
That house is well over 500K. I am a Loan Officer and you would not believe the 'crappy houses' that I see that are over 500K. I live in Texas and 500K will buy you a beautiful mansion. But, other places, 500k is a two bedroom 650 sq. foot shack.

If you can afford that house, buy that thing! It is absolutely amazing.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
nospleen said:
That house is well over 500K. I am a Loan Officer and you would not believe the 'crappy houses' that I see that are over 500K. I live in Texas and 500K will buy you a beautiful mansion. But, other places, 500k is a two bedroom 650 sq. foot shack.

Its in Connecticut, so I imagine its over 500k - however, last year my wife and I bought a 4,000+ sqft home, on a lake, with a beach for well under 500k - but we also live in Indiana :D

Prices are quite different around the nation....

D

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Mr. Anderson said:
Its in Connecticut, so I imagine its over 500k - however, last year my wife and I bought a 4,000+ sqft home, on a lake, with a beach for well under 500k - but we also live in Indiana :D

Prices are quite different around the nation....

D

I just did a refi for some folks in Conn. It was about 2000 sq. ft. and was around 650K. Connecticut, NJ, Cali, and Florida usually have CRAZY appreciation. In San Antonio, we get around 1-3% if we are lucky. I had a friend near Dallas that wanted to refi, but his home was worth less than he purchased it three years ago. :eek:

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
nospleen said:

Very true. We've been offered roughly the amount you're talking about for the house I live in now, but a friend of mine aunt and uncle have a small house in some fancy neighbourhood in Toronto that fetched well over 1 million on the market. It's all about location.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
nospleen said:
I just did a refi for some folks in Conn. It was about 2000 sq. ft. and was around 650K. Connecticut, NJ, Cali, and Florida usually have CRAZY appreciation. In San Antonio, we get around 1-3% if we are lucky. I had a friend near Dallas that wanted to refi, but his home was worth less than he purchased it three years ago. :eek:

But then again, it all depends where in the state you are. I'm originally from Darien, Ct. - now that's nuts. That house would go for over a million there.

Having just moved from DC, I know about how crazy it can be. We bought a 3 bed, end unit town house (built in 1940), 1800+sqft and almost no yard in 2000. When we sold it last year it had doubled in price. Our house in Indiana cost less than half of what we sold the town house for. Totally nuts.

D

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Mr. Anderson said:
But then again, it all depends where in the state you are. I'm originally from Darien, Ct. - now that's nuts. That house would go for over a million there.

Having just moved from DC, I know about how crazy it can be. We bought a 3 bed, end unit town house (built in 1940), 1800+sqft and almost no yard in 2000. When we sold it last year it had doubled in price. Our house in Indiana cost less than half of what we sold the town house for. Totally nuts.

D

I just wish San Antonio had a market like some of these places. I guess I should just be thankful to be able to afford a nice home. But, it drives me crazy when I see people pulling out 125K equity in their homes, becuase they will see that increase in two years. When I get a little 2% property value increase. :mad: I just keep thinking of all the cool Apple stuff I could buy. :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
nospleen said:
I just wish San Antonio had a market like some of these places. I guess I should just be thankful to be able to afford a nice home. But, it drives me crazy when I see people pulling out 125K equity in their homes, becuase they will see that increase in two years. When I get a little 2% property value increase. :mad: I just keep thinking of all the cool Apple stuff I could buy. :p

ah, but with all those interest only loans and people getting houses that they really can't afford, when the interest rates go back up, things are going to tank a bit. There will be a lot of foreclosures and the housing market will slump. It just can't sustain itself.

So if you're buying a house now, you might not want to get a 7 year arm, go for the 30 year mortgage and lock in a lower rate now. In a few years its not going to be so nice.

D

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
It seems most people now are doing the Payment Options loan. So they are going neg am. I can hardly blame them for deferring interest when their homes are appreciating at 20-25%. But, they better get while the getting is good. It seems the appreciation balloon may pop sooner than later. We have already cut back cash out in some areas to 70% to be on the safe side. Me personally, I like a bi-weekly pay it off early loan. But, to each his own.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
In Sydney, that house would cost you $3 million, I'm guessing, as long as it's not in Western Sydney or something. Honestly. I've seen some rather small homes in the paper that go for over $1m. I'm talking about 2000 sq ft in slightly-above-average neighbourhoods for over $1m. Even small, crappy homes in Sydney will fetch $500 000. There's a regular property section in the paper, and it's insane how much a property is worth if it's close to the water. Sydney isn't one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in for no reason. :(

In Toronto (not the "burbs"), that house would go for around $1-2 million depending on how artsy, quaint, and "village-y" the neighbourhood is. Its not entirely about the proximity to water or the downtown core.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
watcher2001 said:
Does anybody else here see the irony...

His house is too big yet the house he is looking at is around 4000 sq. OMFG how big is the house he is in now.
Yeah, I did, but I didn't want to say anything. ;)

The house still needs to be large enough to fit his Range Rover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.