New HP 30" IPS Monitor ZR30w

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mangrove, Jul 12, 2010.

1. mangrove macrumors 6502

Anyone tried this new monitor out yet? You have to go to the Small Business Section of the HP site to view its specs.

2. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

After a LOT of looking around at 24" & 30" ACD's NEC PA241 & PA271, Dell U2711, Eizo's & LaCie I made the move. I got tired of waiting on Apple.

I went down to the MacMall in Santa Monica and sat in front of a HP 3065 which is the predecessor to the new ZR30. The screen was BEAUTIFUL...!!! There also was a 27" and a 24" screen sitting on either side of the ZR30w. I tried each of them just to see the size difference. I was sold.

Read the AnandTech Review I think you will be impressed with this monitor. I just bought a new 17" MBP i7. I will hook up a mini display port to display port cable from MonoPrice, order my wireless keyboard and magic mouse and I'm set.

MacMall has them on a HP Promo sale for $1,249.99. They are flying off the shelves. When the Promos are gone it will revert to the regular price of $1,539.99 MacMall also has a free shipping option

Mine is ordered and I can't wait until it arrives. :D

3. mangrove thread starter macrumors 6502

Just ordered mine too. How lucky you are to be close to see one first hand. I also got from Kanex a 6' Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for $15.00 plus shipping that I will use on my Mac Mini.

Thanks for your first hand comments.

4. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

The ZR30w is wide gamut. It will be great for Photoshop, but horrible for everything else. It's a shame no one, except for Apple, currently makes a 30" sRGB display.

5. mangrove thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got mine up and running and for non PS stuff I love it too since I can run Safari pages and/or other applications side by side which are often needed by me during the day. I have no glare from it either. With the new wireless keyboard, the F3 key really helps me switch around and rapidly select new windows that are open when needed.

I love being able to fill the screen with Numbers data (zoomed or Cmd+) since that makes it much easier to quickly get around the screen for my daily needs.

To each his/her own I guess.

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

This is a load of horse hockey.

OS X is color managed, as is Photoshop, as is Safari, and wide gamut never gave me a problem even once. It might have been an issue for Windows XP users and the IE 6 crowd, but people running OS X and modern web browsers have nothing to be concerned with.

In your calibrated screen, OS X will just map everything within the sRGB boundaries. It might not be good for gaming - I really haven't tested that enough to know if there's a discernable difference - but Colorsync baked right into the OS makes everything play nice with colors.

7. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

OK, one more related question.

I understand these are 10 bit panels. Will the GT 330M in the MBP drive this panel to full color depth? I've been through the NVidia site and done some other searching and can't nail this down. I'm guessing the answer is yes.

The NVidia GT 330M will drive the display at native resolution and the miniDisplay port can handle that. It is just a question of color bit depth.

This is my first foray into using a color accurate monitor.

JPEGs from the camera will only be 8 bit, but most of us use RAW which will be 12 to 14 bit depending on the camera.

8. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

As much as I love my HP see my post about using it with a MB Pro:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1014476&highlight=zr30

I really did not expect this because I'm assuming Apple has some kind of quality control of RAMDAC's so you get similar quality across the product line but it was an incredible difference.

I had listed my ZR30 for sale in the For Sale section but after plugging it into the 5850 it was a huge difference and ended up keeping it.

9. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Is any of the above correct?

10. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Read up or try it.

Do you think that  went to all the trouble of implementing Colorsync for no reason? Or that NEC made wide gamut panels a large percentage of the market couldn't use? In the markets NEC targets, Macs are a way higher percentage than the general computer market. And NEC makes quite a few wide gamut monitors.

Now, there are a few issues - some recent versions of Final Cut, for example, had assumed display gamma of 1.8 even after Snow Leopard switched to 2.2 standard or even if you had configured to 2.2 before then, and I know very little about how well Color works...but this really wasn't hard to implement and I haven't heard about people complaining that their color is oversaturated in Safari with their wide gamut monitors. Or that complaint from OS X users in general.

That said,  still has no support for 10-bit color, which is long overdue, in my opinion. 120 Hz would be nice at some point as well, but since that hasn't really been implemented for much other than 3D on Windows, not nearly as important as the 10 bit color supported by Display Port, high end monitors, and all video cards within the last 5 years at least.

11. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Your post is extremely mistaken. OS X's color management doesn't work for wide gamut displays. Read the following thread for more info: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1779590?threadID=1779590

12. DeeEss, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Old issues with wide gamut monitors are no longer.

Firefox and Safari are colour managed and while not perfect, they are certainly good enough. As far as I can tell Snow Leopard is too so no more cartoonish reds etc in your dock and finder (the new mail red dot on the mail icon in the dock was hideous). Either that or they just changed the colours to fit the gamut better. Mail is fine too.

I work with wide gamut monitors, 3 years ago there were issues but they are now gone.

13. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I work in Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 2.6, Camera Raw etc. I have my ZR30 calibrated with my ColorMunki and recalibrate every 2 weeks or so. The screen is beautiful. I use my MBP as a sidekick monitor when I'm hooked up to the ZR30. I use the ZR30 for web surfing, email etc and have absolutely NO problems.

This ZR30 is one beautiful screen!! I always let it warm up 30 mins or so before I start doing any work in Photoshop etc.

14. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

That's some pretty out-of-date information to reference.

At any rate, believe what you want - I use a wide gamut display and colorsync works - no garish reds.

This kind of reminds me of the guy insisting that 10-bit color was properly implemented across the board in OS X based on one unprofessional review site, but Ars Technica and Anandtech have been unable to get it to work.

If you want definitive information on these topics, don't scan forums, ask real tech experts who do this stuff for real tech publications, like the aforementioned ones.

15. wesnichols macrumors newbie

Does HP ZZR30W work with Mac Air?

I have just hooked up via DVI to my Macbook Air and can see the image, but it is huge (unlike the Mac display i have at home). I went thru the System Preferences and have both set at 1280 x800. however it is still VERY big and i cannot even open up two Word docs side by side. Any ideas?!

Attached Files:

16. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

In order to use a high resolution display, you need a display port to dual-link dvi cable if I am not mistaken. A standard DVI won't put out the resolution needed to drive this display at it's native resolution.

17. yang88she macrumors regular

this ^ b/c the dvi link from a MBA is not a duel link connection, therefore you need the 99.99 apple adapter or biz link or accell which are all around the same price (you can find them on ebay for cheaper)

that is how I have my Dell 3007 wfp-hc hooked up to my MBP

18. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

You also need to make sure your graphics card will support the native 2560x1600 resolution. :cool:

19. funwithdesign macrumors regular

You don't need a display port to dual link. Slight mistake but the wording is important.

What you need is either.

1) Apple's dual link DVI to Mini-Display port adapter which will use a DVI cable from the monitor and plug into the mini DP port of the laptop. THis is expensive however.

2) A Display Port to Mini Display Port cable. Cheap and no adapters.

20. nREMfan macrumors member

This. I have the HP ZR30w and it works beautifully with my new Mac Mini (Quad i7 Server) using this cable. I ordered mine via Amazon for $9.