New HV30 footage: BMX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bobsaget, Oct 23, 2008.

1. bobsaget macrumors member

Hey, I shot this a few weeks ago and just wanted to share. This little HV30 is pretty amazing.

Cut in FCS2

Vimeo Link

Screen Cap:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!!!!

2. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

Mmm... that's pretty. I have an HV20 and love it!

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Damn. That looks good. The color reproduction on that cam is freaking sweet. Nice.

4. miiles macrumors regular

That looks fantastic! Very good editing as well :D

5. shadowschild macrumors member

hey man that was really sick. I just got into editing and everything and my goal is to do it in action sports like climbing or skiing and all that stuff. How did you rig the camera to move as you film but keep it smoothe? Also any and every tips are anything you want to tell me for tips would me amazing!

6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Looks good!!!!

What sequence settings are you using in final cut? are you just using a 60i with 24p without removing the pulldown?

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

very nice. flows really smooth and that camera is pretty damn good. Might have to give it a look myself.

8. The Past macrumors 6502

Very nice. Though you will get a ticket if you did this in a parking lot near where I live :)

9. bobsaget thread starter macrumors member

I was just holding the camera handheld while riding a skateboard. They look okay in the slow motion shots, but if you want really good looking dolly shots, type in diy camera dolly on youtube or something. As far as tips, make sure you lock exposure. Especially in the forest and such, stand basically where you a climber, biker etc is going to be in your shot, lock your exposure (aperture/shutter/gain), then move to wherever you want to shoot it from whether it be 10 ft away, 20 ft etc.. Doing this makes sure that your camera won't expose dark areas of your shot and in turn overexposing your main focus. Hopefully that makes sense.

And all of that of course is if you don't have a camera with TOTALLY manual controls. The canon HV20/30 is kinda halfway manual.

NRose, I shot the slow mo in 60i, deinterlaced to 60fps and did a 40% slow down to equal 24fps. You lose a bit of resolution using this method, but it looks pretty good. I shot in 24p on the HV30, took it into compressor and removed the pulldown. I then opened it in a 720/24p sequence in FCP.

10. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

A skateboard makes a good quick and dirty dolly

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Excellent footage. Makes me want one of these. Dang you ¡apple! for removing FW from macbooks!

If it wasn't for that, this camera would be near the top of what to replace my 3 year old DV camera with.

12. bobsaget thread starter macrumors member

yeah, I really recommend it. Even though I just stepped up to Panasonic's new HMC150, I'll always keep this one by my side. Probably using it for helmet and cable cams.

13. iBallz macrumors 6502

iBallz

I am thinking of getting the HPX170, can you tell me why its worth $2K more than the 150?

14. bobsaget thread starter macrumors member

The HPX170 would be a very good choice. The ~1700 dollar price difference is basically due to a few more features, a proven workflow (P2 vs. messy AVCHD), and a better color space (4:2:2 vs. 4:2:0). For a busy professional, these extra features can mean much more profit. I went over my options and it turned out the money saved with the HMC outweighed the extra features with the HPX.

15. iBallz macrumors 6502

iBallz

Cool, thanks! BTW that footage is awesome, and I wish I could ride a manual like that guy!:D