New HW in stores yet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scott6666, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Anyone know if the new hardware is in the stores yet (and if so, which ones)?

Please don't write back to call the store. I know I can do that. I just feel like it's a pain if a million of us call the stores asking the same question. It's a poor way for the Apple store to use it's people. A few posts here can educate a lot of readers.

Also, given traffic and parking here in DC, it's not so easy just to drop into the store on the possibility the new stuff is in to play with/buy.

So, for those who know, please share!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Call the store. Dallas stores had MacBooks last night.

3. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

trafford centre in the UK had them [​IMG] so i think they will in most of the bigger apple shops

4. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Somehow I knew that even I specifically stated why I did not want to call the store, people would say "call the store".

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That is because it is the most logical advice anyone can give. Unless I go the store you want to purchase it from and sit on one of their computers and do play-by-play of the purchasing of products, you aren't going to know whether the store has them.

What does it matter to someone that knows nothing about the situation if I tell you they had them last night, when in fact they are currently out.

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

To be fair, he did tell you that the Dallas stores had them. I think he was saying "call your store, because mine had it, yours might too!"

Dont worry about how Apple allocates it's employee's time. Just call. Its the best thing you can do.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

London has iMacs, MacBooks, probably Minis

Apple's Regent Street store in London has iMacs and MacBooks in stock. Probably have the new Minis too.

Mice and remotes in Friday, but they had the mice on display with the iMacs. Great upgrade on the Mighty Mouse (and pretty much any other mouse) once you get used to handling the new gestures while holding the mouse. I will definitely be getting a Magic Mouse on Friday.

No idea about the AEBS and Time Capsules.

8. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I do appreciate he gave me the Dallas info. Them having Macs makes it quite likely that Apple in DC has Macs.

However, I disagree strongly in calling the stores. It's much more of a waste of time for me and the store that I preferred to ask online. I fail to see why you feel the need to try to "correct my opinion". It's an opinion; have one of your own, just leave mine alone. If you have info on stock, please provide, otherwise read the post and move on.

I even tried to preempt the pointless "call the store" comments in the original post. The community in generally spends too much time correcting each other's behavior/opinion/perceptions rather than just providing info. I note - pre flamebacks - that this post does fall into that category but since I'm the OP, I am taking the liberty of asking that we stick to the topic at hand.

9. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

The question makes perfect sense, particularly if you are just looking to play with a display model (I want to do this, then order online). If enough people report that specific display models are in their local mall store, as well as flagships, it is reasonable to assume that most stores have those display models.

10. brendu macrumors 68020

fair oaks did not have anything new on display but said they "might" have some new macbooks in back...

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bethesda - Everything except the quad-core iMac, believes that the other DC stores should
    Tysons Corner - Everything except the quad-core iMacs. When I asked the person that picked up the phone if that was the case for all of the DC area stores he told me that all of them were shipped all of the products, however, each store got different shipments and might have sold out, so it's best to call the store I plan on going to before going if I'm looking for something specific
    Montgomery Mall - everything except the quad-core iMac. Said that 9/10 times all the DC areas store are shipped the same products just differing quantities. Believed that it's unlikely that anyone got the quad-core iMac in the DC Area
    *Everything equates to: Mac mini, MacBook and 21.5" and 27" iMac

That took 10 minutes, I spoke to three very nice people and found out more then I did after a couple of hours of this thread and was suggested to call the store I wanted to go to by an Apple employee.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is there any reason OP why you find calling a store to check stock to be a waste of time? Do you believe that the amount of time you wasted posting this thread and waiting for responses exceeded the time it would have taken to call even three stores? I called two stores yesterday in the space of 5 minutes. I found out that I just saved myself a drive 15 miles either way (two stores opposite sites of town).

I think your attitude of sitting back and hoping someone would have an answer for you is just silly. You could have had this all figured out already.

Southpoint and Crabtree both said they have nothing.

13. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

well, whenever there is new :apple: product, I call all the DC area stores several times a day asking when it will show up. I even try to mix up my voice so that I don't get recognized. So between me and the OP, we average things out...

14. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Back in the day when I worked retail, MacWorld, (remember them?), in Boston was happening and Apple just introduced the NEWTON! Not only did I have a line of people wanting to buy one or two of them, but I constantly answering the phone from people calling to see if we had any in stock! I understood what their concerns were and they did not want to waste their time to drive to the store and find out that we were sold out.

As a salesman, it is far better to pick up the phone and tell a customer we have an item in stock instead of having a pissed off customer saying they drove X miles to find we did not have the item they wanted and it was out of stock!

I know you do not want to hear this, but, like others, I would suggest you call the Apple Store closest to you and ASK! Takes a few minutes and your done, instead of waiting for someone on the forum to give you the answer your looking for.

15. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Bethesda Row Status

Ended up by accident by Bethesda Row store so I went in and checked the stock.

Only thing on display was the new MacBook. Several to play with.

iMacs were in the back to be set up this evening. They are available for purchase sight unseen though. There was some confusion about this, one salesperson said yes, another corrected them as no but the manager ultimately said yes.

Not mice or airports in stock yet.

Some mac minis in stock but not on display (not that they would look different).

-----

Oh, and by the way, we discussed this thread. The salespeople indicate they perfer NOT to answer stock questions by phone all day but being good Apple employees they smile through all customer requests.

----

Don't know why this is so hard for you all. Clearly if I had made a special trip to see a new Mac on display it would have been a wasted trip. Clearly the store personnel would prefer to spend time doing real stuff with customers.

I guess mean is new "in" thing.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple pays people to answer the phones all day, those are not the people you talked to in the store.

17. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Woo my favourite shop!

18. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Do any Montreal stores have the new Imacs in stock yet?

Anyone know?

19. Animalk macrumors 6502

None. Call any one of them in 2 days for an update.