New (I)Mac User. Need Advice.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kerel, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Kerel macrumors member

I got my new/first Imac 21,5 saturday(base 2011). And i absolutly love the speed, screen and build quality but Mac Osx needs getting used to.
    I thought the transition would be easier.
    I probably need to give it more time.

Can anyone give me some advice on Os X or sites with good info for new Os X users or programs i really need. Downloaded firefox, istatspro and utorrent sofar.

Some personal info: i used to be a pc builder and gamer but the last couple of years i've been using a Sony VAIO VGN-A317S from 2005 (a really really good laptop with a good bright screen but to slow now). Had difficulties with flash.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Welcome!
    Probably the best book on OS Snow Leopard is "Mac OS Snow Leopard the missing manual" by David Pogue. Available from Amazon. This explains in simple to follow form, pretty well everything there is to know about the OS.

If you want a series of video tutorials, this site can't be beaten. Apart from Snow Leopard, it includes tutorials for a number of the more advanced Mac Appliccations such as Aperture.

3. Darksheer macrumors newbie

Hi Kerel,

I too have recently made the move to a iMac 2011, however mine is a 27" with SSD so it still has not arrived. Even though I have been using the Mac OS X for the last 1yr+, I decided after purchasing my new IMac to start reading up on it and hopefully fill in any blanks that I may have missed from just playing arround previouslly.

I have looked at so many books, but could not get past the first few sections, only picking up bits here and there, but then forgetting it because of all the useless stuff inbetween. But I then came accross "Move to Mac" that I found in the newsagents. It was great, as it is only a magazine (132 pages) full of information of the Mac OS X, some common programs and utilities that may be handly to have. Because this is a magazine, all the items that are mentioned are short and too the point, but what makes it even better is that it was written to suit a person that knows MS Windows. It lists shortcuts that are found in OS X and also in Windows so can use the book as a quick shortcut reference until you get use to it.

To be far, the person that wrote the magazine, does not seem to have the same knowledge for windows as he does for OS X, but he does know enough to be able to compare them. And even if it seems that he is a bit bias when you start to read it, there was times that he did mention that he wished a function or app was more like its counter part in windows.

4. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

The "Command" key is your new Control key...still getting used to that one...doesn't feel right to copy, paste, go back,etc...