New i5 MBP going crazy with google chrome and Graphics switching

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vyruz Reaper, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

Oh boy, first downloading from google chrome to this:

After installing adobe cs5 on my computer, gfxcardstatus has been going crazy changing between intel and nvidia graphics. I happens at random, while using google chrome. For instance, the front page o macrumors.com triggers the nvidia graphics to come one. When i navigate to these forums, it switches back to intel. When I log into gmail, its fine, until gmail signs me into gchat(i disables video chatting b/c i know that was a known issue with turning on the nvidia card)

Whenever i open dreamweaver or photoshop, it turn on nvidia, which is fine and I want it to, but why all of a sudden do i get random gfx switching? Does adobe run something in the background? I would hate if I had to unistall cs5 :(

any help?

2. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

lol, and right after i submitted posting this post, it switches to nvdia, then i pushed quaote to rpaly to my post now its back on intel... whats going on!:confused:

3. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

Ok after much time spent trying to see if there is any pattern:

EVERY forums website i go to, It stats switching between intel and nvidia as i go through different sub forums and post a response pages. Depends on the website and sub forum. From going from macrumons.com -> forums -> macbook pro -> my thread -> post a reply, My graphics card has swtiched between intel and nvidia 4 times :(

This never happened before today. The only thing I installed today was djay 3 and adobe cs5. I have uninstalled most adobe software, but have kept photoshop, primeire, and soundbooth(which are the ones i use most often)

I thought maybe dreamweaver, fireworks, etc maybe installed something into chrome browser for debug, etc, but i dont think thats the case

I also get the graphcis switch going to the espn.com or cnn.com or youtube.com homepage.

For a test i tried using Safari and it worked flawlessy. No unnecessary graphics switching. Problem is i cant stand using safari. It is significantly slower than chrome and I dont like the interface.

Before today, The only porblem I had with chrome was downloading files would cause the nvida card to activate which I coule live with. This is now out of hand. Anybody have any ideas?

thanks!

4. raxafarian macrumors regular

Mine tends to stay on nvidia. Once I open Chrome I usually have a tab with netflix running and that seems to hold it on nvidia. There's also something called "google chrome helper" that seems to keep it on nvidia.

I don't care that it stays on nvidia since it's usually plugged in. I'll force it to the intel when I'm on batteries for an extended time.

I'm not seeing it switch back and forth like you are describing. I have lightroom and CS5 but like I said I tend to leave many things running so mine never has a chance to switch to intel. I guess I could close everything but that defeats the purpose of going to 8GB ram :)

5. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, If it stayed on Nvidia, i wouldnt be as worried. Is there any ramifications for the constant switching of the gfx card?

The thing that bothers me is that it never happened until today. Is there anything I can revert back to couple days ago like windows? I find it very odd that it just started happening out of the blue

6. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

OK, Im getting somwhere now :)

I opened up the chrome task manager, and whenever I navigate to a website where there is a flash required Like on the front page of macrumors.com -> the post about audacity coming to macosx is a flash embedded video. It then pops up on the chrome task manager as shockwave: flash plugin and initiates the nvidia. Whats weird as why didnt this happen before? In anycase when I come to reply to a post, since there is no flash it goes away.

Ill report back after some more investigative work.

7. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

well chrome automatically updates and it just got out of beta recently so maybe an update of chrome is the reason why it does this.....then again i have CS5 and i use chrome, but once chrome triggers the Nvidia card on my comp it won't switch back to intel until i fully quit chrome.....hopefully 10.6.4 provides some stability in the graphics switching, because right now it definitely is not optimised...it should really work based on load, not on whether a certain graphics technology is being used.....i mean cmon, the download bar in chrome triggering the graphics switching is rediculous

8. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

+1, I just uninstalled flash for the moment. Going to do some more tests.

9. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, well i got it fxed for now. And it works very nicely.

For those of you who have this problem, it seems that installing adobe cs5 reinstalls flash. So to fix this problem

1) Unistall cs5 dreamweaver, flash, and flash catalyst
    2) Unistall adobe flash
    3) Redownload adobe flash for crhome from adobe's site
    4) Install flash
    5) Restart computer

Now you are back to stable graphics whle using chrome(nvidia still gets activated with google chrome's download bar.)

Hope this helps anybody else having this issue.

Now hopefully google or apple fixes the nvidia download bar(the arrow that appears for downlaoding a file) in google chrome

cheers,

Cyrus

10. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Chrome sucks weenie, you know unless you're gaming or anything you can just force it into Intel, all the videos will playback just as good

never any problems with FF btw, even videos and everything it uses Intel :-*

and OP, cyrus is your first or last name :)? Miley?

11. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

You can send another thank you note to Adobe :mad:

Thanks for sharing this problem & solution, I'm sure more people will be struggling with this after installing CS5.

12. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

yeah.. sigh... still not fix for google chrome download bar initiating 330m:(