Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
I have the Hitachi 2tb HDD in my 27" 2.93 i7 iMac and while it does make some noise, I wouldn't call it "noisy". I expect some noise from any HDD and it's no different. It's also not slow to load WoW, or Photoshop or Lightroom.

Some noise is OK people, don't freak out lol

Thanks for your reply, maybe I should upgrade... And yes of course it will make noise, but mine is very distracting and worse than my 2tb WD external disk.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
That's great, I'm glad you both are not having issues with 16gb of ram in the new iMacs. I had all kinds of issuesand so did numerous other users on apples forums. Maybe it was software related or something, not sure. I reinstalled OSX and started over from scratch and it still happened two days later.

I ended up sending the second iMac back and bought a mac pro and thankfully have had no issues. I purchased 24gb of ram from OWC and I was surprised that they sent me Hynix brand memory and not OWC branded memory. Either way I'm happy now! Glad to hear you have no issues

If you follow the Apple Support discussions, you would find a mounting body of evidence from a mounting number of service issues that there is something wrong with whatever RAM is being used for the OWC NuRAM 4x4GB (16GB total) installations.

People who are sending it back and getting Hynix and Samsung RAM (even if it is from OWC) are not having the spontaneous shutdowns.

There is other anecdotal evidence that makes it seem possible that stepping down to 12GB solves the problem with NuRAM OWC modules. However, IMHO, not enough people have reported this, yet, to be taken as Gospel. I do believe that enough people have reported back to take it as Gospel that the cheapest OWC modules called NuRAM are causing a problem when used as 4x4GB.

In my case, I decided not to take any chances, and went from 16 GB of NuRAM down to 12 GB of Samsung and I have not had any more shutdowns.

I have to say that OWC (macsales.com) were very easy to deal with and immediately issued an RMA for the NuRAM and shipped the Samsung memory quickly and without a lot of effort on my part, although I had to eat the $10.70 shipping expense of sending it back to them. You might not even have to pay shipping back, now that there are a couple of long threads at Apple Support talking about how it's rather obviously OWC NuRAM that is causing the biggest problem.

A couple of people responding in the Apple Support threads were Apple employees, and I am thereby certain that it is not a mainboard or firmware problem. It is a RAM problem.

About Crucial: Be careful. Their online automatic configuration routine did not work correctly for me and they sent me RAM that would not even allow my iMac to start. The chip configuration was just wrong, and there's no way around it.

And Crucial compounded the issue by not responding to my request for an RMA for two weeks. From here on, I do not think I will have any reason to buy anything for my Apple products from Crucial.

Bottom line is you can trust OWC, but I would not buy NuRAM from them. Don't be too cheap. Just buy the Samsung to start with, or at least the more expensive OWC brand (not NuRAM), and consider limiting yourself to 12 GB to have the safest configuration on your mission critical machine.

:)

For whatever one dumb old man's opinion is worth.

takamine

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Brisbane
How long did you have the RAM before you started experiencing these problems? I just bought 4 x 4GB (16GB) of the NuRAM from OWC with no problems so far. Running Windows 7 through Parallels with 8GB RAM dedicated to it as well.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
If you follow the Apple Support discussions, you would find a mounting body of evidence from a mounting number of service issues that there is something wrong with whatever RAM is being used for the OWC NuRAM 4x4GB (16GB total) installations.

People who are sending it back and getting Hynix and Samsung RAM (even if it is from OWC) are not having the spontaneous shutdowns.

There is other anecdotal evidence that makes it seem possible that stepping down to 12GB solves the problem with NuRAM OWC modules. However, IMHO, not enough people have reported this, yet, to be taken as Gospel. I do believe that enough people have reported back to take it as Gospel that the cheapest OWC modules called NuRAM are causing a problem when used as 4x4GB.

In my case, I decided not to take any chances, and went from 16 GB of NuRAM down to 12 GB of Samsung and I have not had any more shutdowns.

I have to say that OWC (macsales.com) were very easy to deal with and immediately issued an RMA for the NuRAM and shipped the Samsung memory quickly and without a lot of effort on my part, although I had to eat the $10.70 shipping expense of sending it back to them. You might not even have to pay shipping back, now that there are a couple of long threads at Apple Support talking about how it's rather obviously OWC NuRAM that is causing the biggest problem.

A couple of people responding in the Apple Support threads were Apple employees, and I am thereby certain that it is not a mainboard or firmware problem. It is a RAM problem.

About Crucial: Be careful. Their online automatic configuration routine did not work correctly for me and they sent me RAM that would not even allow my iMac to start. The chip configuration was just wrong, and there's no way around it.

And Crucial compounded the issue by not responding to my request for an RMA for two weeks. From here on, I do not think I will have any reason to buy anything for my Apple products from Crucial.

Bottom line is you can trust OWC, but I would not buy NuRAM from them. Don't be too cheap. Just buy the Samsung to start with, or at least the more expensive OWC brand (not NuRAM), and consider limiting yourself to 12 GB to have the safest configuration on your mission critical machine.

:)

For whatever one dumb old man's opinion is worth.

Your opinion is worth alot, thanks alot for taking the time to write that. And judging by this post and others I highly doubt you're dumb. Or old.:D

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
How long did you have the RAM before you started experiencing these problems?
The first spontaneous shutdown was about a week after installation, as I began tweaking the Parallels virtual machine.

For a while, I felt that it was only happening when Activity Monitor showed over 12 GB of RAM being used for one thing and another, but it started happening even when the virtual machine wasn't loaded and less than 6 GB of RAM being allocated to anything.

I sure hope you do not have the problem.

ghboard2010

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Somewhere
I bought the same machine on 09/04. On 09/08 I replaced the factory DIMMs with 16GB purchased from Ramjet. In the first three days, I had one unobserved, and one observed system shutdown for no apparent reason. Since then, zero problems.

I am apparently one of the lucky ones..... No dead pixels, no clattering hard drives, no slow ripping from CD/DVD, no backlight seepage, etc.

I've bought from Ramjet in the past and had trouble with DIMMs one time. They replaced them promptly without any problems.

Hope this helps somehow....

Grimmwit

I have had 16GB installed for over 40 days. I use the machine at least 6 hours per day across any seven day period you can concoct. I even bought the two additional modules to move up to 16GB from fry's locally. Hmm..., I guess I am one of the fortunate ones as well. . . :)

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Ditto. Have had 16GB 3x Hynix, 1x Samsung 4GB DDR3-1066 modules with ZERO problems. I'm getting shiny new DDR3-1333 chips this coming week. :D

texrb

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
No issues with G. Skill RAM

I have an i7-870 and just added 2 x 4GB sticks of G.Skill RAM with no issues. Total RAM is now 12GB. I did move the 2 x2 GB sticks of OEM Samsung RAM to the bottom slots & added the 2 4GB sticks to the top slots. I got a great deal on black friday from Newegg.com. Price was less than 1/2 of any other RAM. I verified with G. Skill tech support that this RAM was the same timing, speed, etc before I bought it. It isn't "Apple certified" RAM sold by G. Skill, but it works fine. I have had it for 3 weeks with no issues. I didn't go to 16GB due to issues noted in this thread & also based on comments that going from 12 to 16GB didn't show a noticeable improvement.

I have noticed apps open faster & iPhoto doesn't sit & spin the gray pinwheel when I am looking thru my photos. We have over 30GB of photos loaded so the extra memory helps.

ravencr

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm about to spring for a 27" iMac, and I'm wondering about the harddrive options. I'm not a fan of paying more than is needed to Apple for something I can purchase cheaper and larger from other sources like OWC or Newegg. So here's my questions:

1) Can I run two SSD drives inside the computer by removing the standard HDD that comes with it?
2) If I don't purchase a SSD from Apple originally, can I add one later?
3) Would I be limited on SSD drive size if I did it after purchasing the computer?

What have folks found to reduce heat with the iMac? I have SMCFanControl on my MBP 17" and a double fan that it rests on. Is there similar setups for the iMac to try to prevent further problems down the road?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

jtcedinburgh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Well, after my mid-2008 iMac 24" 2.8GHz C2D had some problems back in the autumn, I started to wonder about a replacement. Applecare saved my bacon then, but it will run out next summer and as I'm using these machines as professional workstations (for a mix of web and Visual Studio/SQL Server development in BootCamp) I felt that I couldn't risk being without a main machine again.

So, tomorrow (with a little luck) I should be taking delivery of:

One iMac i7/2.93GHz with 4Gb ram, 256SSD+1Tb plus the funky mouse and trackpad option. Oh, and Applecare too.

I'll instantly up this to 12Gb (ram waiting at home) and pair it to the other thing I'm waiting for, which is a second 27" screen, albeit the Dell 27" as I got it for a little over half the price of the Apple 27" via two overlapping Dell promotions, and it's arguably just as good if not better than the Apple panel. So I've heard, anyway.

Is a dual 27" desktop excessive? Probably, but too much screen space is far better than too little.

I've also swapped out the 5400rpm HDD in my 2009 MBP for a 500Gb Seagate Momentus XT (with the hybrid SSD/HDD) which has been good so far. Oh, yeah, and to cap it all off, last week I got me a quad Xeon with 60Gb SSD boot, RAID 1 1Tb disc array and 250Gb scratch disc, as a development server. From Dell, please forgive me.

Photos soon :)

SR2

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Well, after my mid-2008 iMac 24" 2.8GHz C2D had some problems back in the autumn, I started to wonder about a replacement. Applecare saved my bacon then, but it will run out next summer and as I'm using these machines as professional workstations (for a mix of web and Visual Studio/SQL Server development in BootCamp) I felt that I couldn't risk being without a main machine again.

So, tomorrow (with a little luck) I should be taking delivery of:

One iMac i7/2.93GHz with 4Gb ram, 256SSD+1Tb plus the funky mouse and trackpad option. Oh, and Applecare too.

I'll instantly up this to 12Gb (ram waiting at home) and pair it to the other thing I'm waiting for, which is a second 27" screen, albeit the Dell 27" as I got it for a little over half the price of the Apple 27" via two overlapping Dell promotions, and it's arguably just as good if not better than the Apple panel. So I've heard, anyway.

Is a dual 27" desktop excessive? Probably, but too much screen space is far better than too little.

I've also swapped out the 5400rpm HDD in my 2009 MBP for a 500Gb Seagate Momentus XT (with the hybrid SSD/HDD) which has been good so far. Oh, yeah, and to cap it all off, last week I got me a quad Xeon with 60Gb SSD boot, RAID 1 1Tb disc array and 250Gb scratch disc, as a development server. From Dell, please forgive me.

Photos soon :)[/QUOTE

You should of waited for Sandy Bridge. Your Core i7 will be slow in comparison for the same price.

NancyZ

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2010
Selden, NY
Wife and I got ours 2 weeks ago. 2.9, solid state, and 8GB ram upgrade. Now if I can figure out how to xfer my itunes library from the 08 iMac over. :confused:

ravencr

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Can those that edit AVCHD 1080 footage in iMovie and/or Adobe Premiere CS4 please tell me how easily your 27" imac edits it, plays it back, and then once outputted to whatever format, how it plays in Quicktime, as well? Is it jittery at all? Appear to skip frames here and there? Or does it play it silky smooth? I'd love to hear from as many folks as possible, as this is going to be my basis for upgrading to one from my MBP 17" or not. My MBP will do it, but it's jumpy, jittery, etc...my freakin' iphone plays youtube videos better than my MBP.

Your help is greatly appreciated. If you could let me know your basic setup, as well, that would be great.

Chris

jtcedinburgh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Well...

First 24 hours and it's a flier! 12Gb+i7+SSD makes for a very snappy machine.

The dual 27" displays take up a lot of desk space though....

jtcedinburgh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Largely because too many people have been having problems with third party ram when taken to 16Gb. Nobody reports any problems with 12Gb though - i.e. 2x4Gb + 2x2Gb - so, rather than throw away the 4Gb that the i7 came with and add 4x4Gb which might be problematic, I settled on keeping that 4Gb and adding 2x4Gb. And nice it is too :)

ravencr

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Gotcha...I guess I ought to read the thread to see who's having trouble and with what RAM, and see if there's a 16gb setup that actually works flawlessly or not. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Gotcha...I guess I ought to read the thread to see who's having trouble and with what RAM, and see if there's a 16gb setup that actually works flawlessly ....

4x4 GB Samsung configuration? I have not seen any report so far of someone having the spontaneous shutdown problem with Samsung, or with 16 GB configured directly from Apple with either Samsung or Hynix.

There are three active threads in the Apple support forums. That's where I'm getting this information.

ravencr

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Where are folks finding the best deals on the Samsung and Hynix memory, because upgrading with Apple is too expensive?

Chris

ravencr

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
After disovering the cost/hassle of installing a larger harddrive and SSD aftermarket, I went ahead and got the 27" loaded from apple on everything but the ram. Apparently it's easier to install than the drives. Anybody on here edit AVCHD 720/60p and 1080/60p using Adobe Premiere CS4 with their iMac? I thought I was going to go back to using iMovie '11 but apparently it imports everything as 30p.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.