New i7 MBP Arrived. SSD Install and File Transfer Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kngelv, May 8, 2010.

1. kngelv macrumors member

I just received my new 15in i7 Hi-Rez glossy MBP and I have a brand new Intel 160 GB SSD to install. I have a couple of quick questions. Should I power it up and register the computer with Apple before I swap the hard drive or does it not make a difference? What is the better way to get my files on the new MBP? Should I do an install from my Time Machine backup or do you advise doing a fresh install of OSX and using Migration Assistant? I've never used either method and was just wondering which is the smarter way to go. I was also wondering if I could just take the drive that came with my new MBP and install it in my old one that my friend is buying? This seems easier than wiping my old drive and allows for an extra backup. I have heard that you have to put the original drive back in if there is an issue or Applecare will not repair it. Not sure if this is true. Thanks.

James

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

1. Install the SSD first.
    2. Use the gray discs to install the system and applications.
    3. Boot it up and continue as you would with any new mac.

I recommend after step 3, you choose "From Time Machine backup" if you have a Time Machine disk or time capsule.

Using Time Machine or Migration Assistant will first require an install of OS X anyway.

Swapping drives will surely cause issues. I recommend you do this.

4. Select to transfer from Time Machine Backup
    5. After successful transfer, wipe old MBP's drive and reinstall OS X.
    6. Use the disk that came with the new MBP as a coaster or in a drive case for external storage.

....I don't have enough coasters...

3. kngelv thread starter macrumors member

So you think it is better to wipe the old hard drive and leave it. My old drive is a 320GB 7200rpm while the one with the new MBP is a 500GB 5400rpm. I thought it made sense just to swap them. This way I have the 320GB as an extra backup. I already have two external 1TB OWC drives as my main redundant Time Machine backup drives. This is where I keep all my media too.

James

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You can wipe and use either drive you like, I'm just pointing out that it's not necessary to do so.

Be sure to wipe and install OS X on whatever drive you install in the old MBP.

If it's the pre-unibody MacBook Pro, I wouldn't bother messing with the drives.

5. kngelv thread starter macrumors member