New i7 MBP - booting to blueish grey screen - help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckeck, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I just picked up a new i7 MacBook Pro over the weekend and have been setting up things over the past few days...everything working great. Today when I got home I just took it out of the laptop bag and booted up and its going to this funky looking blue/grey screen where I can see my mouse cursor very faintly in the background but nothing else.

What could be happening? Tried rebooting several times but it happens consistently. I need my laptop for work (all I use) and I can't get into an Apple store until tomorrow night...any help or insight, tests, possible fixes would be greatly appreciated!

2. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Pic attached for reference...don't mind the yellow haze...something with the lighting around the computer.

Attached Files:

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Hmmm...works ok in safe boot...some kind of display driver issue? Wouldn't expect that on a Mac and haven't seen any issues like this in years.

Thoughts? :confused:

4. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Found the issue and I'll post notes here in case anyone else runs into this. Earlier today I installed some drivers for a USB based video card I have from Display Link. The USB video card worked fine at the office earlier today after the initial reboot but it was the only thing I could think that could cause this issue since I got home.

Booted into safe mode and downloaded the driver installer, ran the uninstall script, reboot and bam, I'm back in business. Guess they need to do some testing/updating for the new i7 MacBook Pros. I'll send a note to Display Link so this issue can get resolved hopefully.

Hope this helps someone in case they end up in the same situation... :cool:

5. bigcat macrumors 6502

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I was planning on using the displaylink driver as well. Please post back if you find a solution when using the driver.