new i7 mbp, stuck at grey screen, usb hub

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gs089, May 20, 2010.

1. gs089 macrumors newbie

hi all,

this is my first post here. i'm also new to apple. unfortunately i have a problem with my new mbp.

first off:
    i have connected an dell 22" monitor, and a belkin 7X usb hub, 64gb ssd super talent

sometimes my mbp stucks at grey start-up screen, the spinning wheel (not beachball). when i start without that usb hub all works fine... but... i tried to figure out which usb device could occur that problem... but i could not find it.

yesterday while i tried to plug out one usb device after another i had to do a few cold reboots, and then my mbp stuck even without any usb device.

i reinstalled osx and then everything was normal, even with that usb hub.

today i wanted to shut down mac os x but i forgot to close my opera browser, so mac os x crashed and i got the message to push the power button till it turns off. then i was scared and rebooted, everything works (also with usb hub).

so, now, after some time, i rebooted again.. and that stucking grey screen again!!! i used disk utility to repair the disk registry (dont know the exact word by now) and everything was ok... (btw. i used that disk repair yesterday too.. but then, it did not helped)

i'm really frustated and my thinking is..

is os x very critical with cold reboots? i think that often destroy something...

could it be my super talent 64 gb ssd i replaced the 500 gb (i used carbon clone to mirror the initial system)?

perhaps there is a hardware problem?

btw. i could find that mailfunction at apple support homepage... but my problem is not that usb hub... i think

and.. i tried every tip i could find online like reseting the pram... and so on..

is there anybody out there who has similar problems?

thanks a lot for reading!

kind regards
    gerald

2. gs089 thread starter macrumors newbie

after another days i have to say that sometime it will boot correctly and sometimes not... strange...

i'm the only one having similar problems?