"New" iBook clamshell - RAM?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by P-Worm, Apr 14, 2008.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I just bought an iBook clamshell that come stock with 96 MB of RAM in it (32 MB soldered, 64MB added). I want to put OS X 10.3 on it, but the minimum RAM is 128 MB. Through the following website I found some RAM for the machine:

http://www.powerbookguy.com/xcart/catalog/RAM-Cards-price0-p-1-c-352.html

My question is what you would go for. I'm thinking that 256 MB is the 'sweet spot' because it's quite a bit for that model iBook and it's only $30. I'm not sure if it's worth more than double the price to put 512 instead of 256 unless you think it would make a huge difference.

The stock hardrive is only 3.24 GB, so I obviously want to use virtual RAM as little as possible.

For standard web and email (nothing else) what would you go with?

P-Worm

2. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

holy crap! i would suggest saving up for a refurb'd macbook!

3. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I obviously didn't get the machine because of speed, more aesthetics and because I consider it part of a collection.

P-Worm

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

OS X of any flavor is going to be a major slug on that machine with only 256M. Even with 512M it's going to have a hard time getting out of it's own way.

RAM is the best bang for your buck performance-wise. Buy as much as you possibly can afford.

MacDann

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I have a 256mb card from my ibook I'd sell you for $15. It's pc133 so it should work in the Clamshells.

You should pick up a cheap 20 or 30gb hard drive up on ebay.

As for email, I hope you don't use Gmail because it's even sluggish on my 900mhz iBook.