Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
Because otherwise I'd be a bit upset right now. 2 months of frustration without a computer (when I really needed one) for little more than a ripple effect.

The value of BT and 512MB ram as standard is negated by the fact that the new iBook cost $100 more than the old one in Switzerland (bastards).
The 6% faster processor isn't noticeable and the faster 9550, is seriously crippled since it only has 32MB.

I wonder what Apple was thinking when they put the 9550 in there and left the RAM at 32MB. My guess is that the iBook is getting another update before going Intel, and will then get 64MB VRAM, with the PB 12" going R9700 before that.

BTW, does anyone know if the new iBook has a 166MHz buss? If so, that would make the 12" PB virtually obsolete, since the ONLY advantage it has left is the 64MB VRAM.
Or is the memory run asynchronously to the bus? If so, the performance benefit is virtually zero.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
Actually if I was buying an iBook now, I would rather have the old one with $200 off than the new one, especially since I don't need BT.

Unless I was really obsessed about having the ripple effect... :rolleyes:

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
TheSisko said:
Actually if I was buying an iBook now, I would rather have the old one with $200 off than the new one, especially since I don't need BT.

I think the iBooks are an awesome deal now, especially with the extra 10 gigs standard, along with extra 256 MB RAM standard. The new graphics card, too. And the ability to expand to 1.5 GB RAM. The scrolling trackpage, etc. All in all, it is a solid update.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
Capt Underpants said:
I think the iBooks are an awesome deal now, especially with the extra 10 gigs standard

BTO 60GB cost what? Like $60 or something?

Along with extra 256 MB RAM standard.

A 512MB stick costs about $60 aswell.

The scrolling trackpage

IScroll2 works just as well (better actually).

So all in all, with a $200 rebate, you'd have more HD space and more RAM for $80 less, and the only thing you'd loose out on would be better performance in games, provided you lowered the texture detail to minimum :) Oh, and the ripple effect of course!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
TheSisko said:

Are they $200 off, or are you just expecting that?

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
No, I've heard that in prior updates, people who got the old one just before the update got 200 bucks back. Don't know if it applies this time.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
TheSisko said:
BTO 60GB cost what? Like $60 or something?

A 512MB stick costs about $60 aswell.

IScroll2 works just as well (better actually).

So all in all, with a $200 rebate, you'd have more HD space and more RAM for $80 less, and the only thing you'd loose out on would be better performance in games, provided you lowered the texture detail to minimum :) Oh, and the ripple effect of course!

I don't understand why the heck you are complaining. You get a better notebook for the same freakin' price! Not everyone bought an iBook before the updates, and thus not everyone (hardly anyone, in fact) is entitled to this $200 rebate. It has better everything: Faster Processor, more HD space, more RAM, BT 2.0, Better Graphics Card Sudden Motion Sensor, scrolling trackpad. If you don't want any of these features, that's fine with me, but calling this a bad update is just flat wrong.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Capt Underpants said:
I don't understand why the heck you are complaining. You get a better notebook for the same freakin' price! Not everyone bought an iBook before the updates, and thus not everyone (hardly anyone, in fact) is entitled to this $200 rebate. It has better everything: Faster Processor, more HD space, more RAM, BT 2.0, Better Graphics Card Sudden Motion Sensor, scrolling trackpad. If you don't want any of these features, that's fine with me, but calling this a bad update is just flat wrong.

You got it right on the dot! GREAT UPDATE IMO!

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
Capt Underpants said:

Unfortunately it's only the same price in very few countries. And of course it's good to get better specs at the same price!
But even cumulatively the updates aren't noticable in usage (if you already had more RAM, HD&BT), except that you'd probably get the ripple. So I'm saying this update makes the iBook much better value in the US (or slightly better value in other places), but it's not much of a performance update.
It would have been much more noticeable if they'd gone with 64MB VRAM and may 166MHz FSB, but then I suppose they'd have to update the 12" PB as well...

The guy who got $265 back got a really good deal, almost the same machine for only $735! What about old iBooks in stores, shouldn't they be available with a discount now?

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
I was very pleased with these updates.
I thought that apple has a lot to offer now with the iBooks. I feel that it was a good all around update for everything that needed it.
We now have core imaging, a bigger hard drive, 512 RAM BUILT IN, The graphics card is a better model (only with less RAM), BT standard, SMS, Trackpad scrolling, and a better processor. In my mind, I feel like this is a really good update and was more that I was expecting.

Although I would feel different if they raised the price. I would actualy be quite mad because the price would cancel out most of the updates. Since I live in th US though, I dont have a problem.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
The new ibooks are nothing special. So they come standard with 512 now? Whooooo carrrrreees!! New graphics card? Thats a joke to and the faster processor is so miniscule (forgive the spelling on that word) that more ram could easily compensate. I could go to crucial and buy a 1 gig stick for about 150 bucks last time i checked then i have a better ibook than the new ones and it still cost me less. Bought a brand new one about 4 months ago and never looked back. Not only that but i ordered mine with blue tooth and an 80 gig hd. Come on Apple saying these new ibooks are updated is a joke. Still have my eye on those sweet PB's though. But they need to make the 12 inch PB's track pad more like the ibooks. :D

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I think people need to stop complaining. The only real crappy thing about the iBook update was no 64mb VRAM...oh well. Other than that it was an ok upgrade, Apple did what they could I think. But I would have liked to see the mini updated a little more other than adding some BTO options as standard. Specifically I would have like to have seen 1.5ghz or 1.67ghz processors in them. Again, oh well. When the Apple lineup switches to Intel I think we are all going to be wowed by what comes out.

realmcenter

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2005
Denver, CO
lilstewart92 said:
a friend of mine got his last week, called Apple, and got $265 back
I just called Apple a few minutes ago and got $100 back which, excluding the bluetooth inclusion in the update, is about the price difference between my iBook and a similarly configured updated one so I'm quite happy. Not to mention that I still have $179 coming back from the Student Union promotion. The amount they are giving me back pretty much pays for the 1GB stick I ordered for my iBook to max out the memory. Right now I am very happy with Apple's customer service :D

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
The update could have been worse guys.... it could have just been a processor upgrade and BT or something like that. I've seen worse updates in the past. This is not a bad one. Too bad no 64VRAM, but once intel comes around I too think the updates might be better. And you have to consider that this is the eco laptop line. Don't expect anything amazing here. Look towards the powerbooks and Powermacs for a good update.......

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
They definatly are some sweet updates, i think people were being too unrealistic with there expectations......

On the other hand though people who bought the last Rev of iBooks cant be too dissapointed as the updates are not major (form factor change or widescreen) If changes like that took place i think th epeople buying old iBooks would have been a little more dissapointed...

ShadOW :D

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Whilst they weren't the update that many people were looking for, I think the iBook 12" is pretty good value still, considering the software you get. It should also be a well tested design as well, what is it, Revision F?

I suppose the PowerBooks will be getting the 7448 later this year (1.6 and 1.8 GHz) with the 12" getting the Radeon 9550 with 64MB and the others possibly all going to 128MB 9700M. Memory will remain at 512MB across the board.

If we're lucky, Apple will do more than a minor update. I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
Hattig said:
Whilst they weren't the update that many people were looking for, I think the iBook 12" is pretty good value still, considering the software you get. It should also be a well tested design as well, what is it, Revision F?

I suppose the PowerBooks will be getting the 7448 later this year (1.6 and 1.8 GHz) with the 12" getting the Radeon 9550 with 64MB and the others possibly all going to 128MB 9700M. Memory will remain at 512MB across the board.

If we're lucky, Apple will do more than a minor update. I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

I think both iBooks will simply go 64MB, 9700 is a bit overkill for a consumer laptop, and probably draws a lot more power.

However what's really dissapointing is that Apple clocked the 9550 at a insanely low 172MHz, compared to 300MHz for a Mobility 9600.
This means that the new iBook will have the same theoretical fillrate and geometry performance as the 9200's (both have 4 pixel pipelines and 2 vertex shaders). So the graphics performance will only be maybe 15-20% or so faster...(thanks to optimizations in the 9550's newer generation architecture). But still, you do get the ripple effect... :rolleyes:

murphy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
Number to call?

realmcenter said:
I just called Apple a few minutes ago and got $100 back which, excluding the bluetooth inclusion in the update, is about the price difference between my iBook and a similarly configured updated one so I'm quite happy. Not to mention that I still have $179 coming back from the Student Union promotion. The amount they are giving me back pretty much pays for the 1GB stick I ordered for my iBook to max out the memory. Right now I am very happy with Apple's customer service :D

What number did you call for the refund? If I bought my ibook 3 months ago, would I be eligible for any type of refund? Just curious! I'm really enjoying my 12" ibook. Thanks!

realmcenter

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2005
Denver, CO
murphy said:
What number did you call for the refund? If I bought my ibook 3 months ago, would I be eligible for any type of refund? Just curious! I'm really enjoying my 12" ibook. Thanks!
1-800-MY-APPLE. I had purchased my iBook on the 9th and it was shipped on the 12th of this month and the representative said I was still within the period for their price protection guarantee. I don't know how long that period is, but my guess is not more than 30-days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.