Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
12" iBook with superdrive please!

I wish they would put a super drive in the 12", as the 14" form factor has no value for me.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Stella said:
Nice.. the margin between iBooks and PowerBooks are rapidly decreasing.. must only mean one thing...

G5!

With the latest round of Power book updates, the gaped widened. The Power Books got better video cards, a faster Megahertz gap, and airport extreme standard.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
nsb3000 said:
With the latest round of Power book updates, the gaped widened. The Power Books got better video cards, a faster Megahertz gap, and airport extreme standard.

Yes, but in six months the iBook went from a 900 MHz G3 to a 1.2 GHz G4 with a Superdrive. So I would still say that the gap is a lot closer than it was at this time last year.

The slower PB's are only 130 MHz (or about 11%) faster than the faster iBook's. While the high-end PB is 50% faster than the low-end iBook, it does cost more than twice as much ($2500 vs. $1100) so I should hope it is more than just a bigger screen.

Since Airport Extreme is a BTO for the iBook, that is not much of a difference. The superior video card (although I have heard the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 in the 12" PB is not much better than the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 in the iBook) and the availibility of firewire 800 (again this is only in the 15" and 17" version) are the most major differences.

The gap has definitely closed as of late. The PowerBooks need some big upgrades to really seperate them again. If only Apple had some major keynote speech coming up at which Steve could announce such a thing.

Not that I want to start any speculation ;)

I do not honestly think that G5 PB's are going to be here anytime soon, but I definitely agree that the differences between the iBook and the PowerBook have eroded (much like the difference between the eMac and the iMac).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Steven1621 said:
apple should include a SXGA display on the 14in ibook and PB. 1024X768 is a bit too small in my opinion.
Steven1621, some people buy the 14" iBook just because of the resolution - they can't SEE the icons/text at higher resolutions. I think that such resolution changes are better suited to the PowerBook more than the iBook. On topic, it's good to see Apple listening to ordering trends and making the SuperDrive configuration standard.

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
this is a good thing, makes more machines that people are able to get in the stores. I would have really loved to get my 12icnh powerbook in a store with a 5400rpm drive, but I ordered it and just got it, I must say it is the most amazing machine I have ever seen. I kind of like it a bit more then my G5

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
pjkelnhofer said:
Yes, but in six months the iBook went from a 900 MHz G3 to a 1.2 GHz G4 with a Superdrive. So I would still say that the gap is a lot closer than it was at this time last year.

The slower PB's are only 130 MHz (or about 11%) faster than the faster iBook's. While the high-end PB is 50% faster than the low-end iBook, it does cost more than twice as much ($2500 vs. $1100) so I should hope it is more than just a bigger screen.

Since Airport Extreme is a BTO for the iBook, that is not much of a difference. The superior video card (although I have heard the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 in the 12" PB is not much better than the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 in the iBook) and the availibility of firewire 800 (again this is only in the 15" and 17" version) are the most major differences.

The gap has definitely closed as of late. The PowerBooks need some big upgrades to really seperate them again. If only Apple had some major keynote speech coming up at which Steve could announce such a thing.

Not that I want to start any speculation ;)

I do not honestly think that G5 PB's are going to be here anytime soon, but I definitely agree that the differences between the iBook and the PowerBook have eroded (much like the difference between the eMac and the iMac).

I have my 12inch iBook G3 next to my new 12inch Powerbook, and on looks alone I think the PowerBook wins hands down, and for someone like me I love having the cooler looking computer, before I get flamed I know that is not the case and some people really look at price.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
pjkelnhofer said:

the eMac and iMac have never been that different. in the past couple of years the G4 iMac received upgrades a few months before they were implemented in the eMac. currently, however, the eMac is ahead of the iMac specs-wise. the most meaningful difference between the two is the built in monitor.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Rod Rod said:
the eMac and iMac have never been that different. in the past couple of years the G4 iMac received upgrades a few months before they were implemented in the eMac. currently, however, the eMac is ahead of the iMac specs-wise. the most meaningful difference between the two is the built in monitor.

Not only that but look at it this way, the 17" iMac cost $1799 while an eMac (with superdrive) plus a 17" Studio Display would actually cost $1698. $100 less than the iMac costs!!!

I suspect the iMac as we know it is coming to an end.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
pjkelnhofer said:

[interrupt] six months....this time last year...:confused: [/interrupt] I agree totally with the second half of that statement. My point is that you could use the first half of that statement at almost anytime when you're talking about technology. "We went from 'a' to 'b' in three days!!!" :cool:

[snip]

I'm sitting here with my powerbook. The difference?

1) Resolution
2) Dual monitor capabilities with BOTH DVI & S-video out (I understand you can 'hack' the firmware, but this is standard and, therefore more stable)
3) Back-lit keyboard
4) FW800
5) Digital Audio Out (am I correct that the iBook does not have this?)
6) Gigabit ethernet
7) Bluetooth standard
8) Airport Extreem Standard (and on some iBook models)
9) Other differences in performance, etc.

At any rate. I don't think the differences justify the HUGE difference in price - tho, at the same time, I cannot justify getting an iBook over the powerbook.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
5) Digital Audio Out?

coumerelli said:
[interrupt] six months....this time last year...:confused: [/interrupt] I agree totally with the second half of that statement. My point is that you could use the first half of that statement at almost anytime when you're talking about technology. "We went from 'a' to 'b' in three days!!!" :cool:

I'm sitting here with my powerbook. The difference?

1) Resolution
2) Dual monitor capabilities with BOTH DVI & S-video out (I understand you can 'hack' the firmware, but this is standard and, therefore more stable)
3) Back-lit keyboard
4) FW800
5) Digital Audio Out (am I correct that the iBook does not have this?)
6) Gigabit ethernet
7) Bluetooth standard
8) Airport Extreem Standard (and on some iBook models)
9) Other differences in performance, etc.

At any rate. I don't think the differences justify the HUGE difference in price - tho, at the same time, I cannot justify getting an iBook over the powerbook.
5) Digital Audio Out? You mean the audio out port is dual analog/digital? I did not know that.

Greydog

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004
New ibooks coming?

Does anyone have info on a potential iBook refresh? I know it seems early but I tried to order a 12" G4 iBook at the Marlton NJ Apple Store and was told that not only were they out of stock but there was no indication of a fresh supply coming in. They would not even process the order.

What gives?

ajkst1

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
This isn't anything new for Apple. Airport Extreme and Bluetooth were optional equipment on the Powerbook, but due to high demand they became standard equipment. It's nice because AE+BT is about $150 extra on a machine. By making them standard equipment "technically" the price drops on the laptop itself because you aren't paying $150 for the added features. It's what I like to call "4G iPod price drop." It's where Apple gets rid of a lower model, and "lowers" the price on the higher end models. "TECHNICALLY" it's a price drop, but we know better than that.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I would be amazed if the iBooks were refreshed soon. Look for October at the earliest, possibly November. Some people who are wishful thinkers think that apple will refresh to catch the back to school crowd, etc, but they have never done this to the iBook line before. Here are the release dates:

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.