Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aapl.jlo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Wyoming, MI
This is one thing that I have been working on for the past two weeks. I went on Apple's website, and Crucial's website to figure out the kind of RAM that my iBook could use. (iBook 1054) I have tried the RAM from Newegg--I had the kind of RAM down from the Crucial website and I found the best deal on Newegg, but it didn't work. Then I went on Apple's website and found the kind of RAM that should have worked--which was different from the kind found on Crucial.com. I ordered that from eBay, it didn't work.

What is the kind of RAM that I need to get? Has anyone else had this problem because I actually want to upgrade my iBook. Much thanks.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
This is one thing that I have been working on for the past two weeks. I went on Apple's website, and Crucial's website to figure out the kind of RAM that my iBook could use. (iBook 1054) I have tried the RAM from Newegg--I had the kind of RAM down from the Crucial website and I found the best deal on Newegg, but it didn't work. Then I went on Apple's website and found the kind of RAM that should have worked--which was different from the kind found on Crucial.com. I ordered that from eBay, it didn't work.

What is the kind of RAM that I need to get? Has anyone else had this problem because I actually want to upgrade my iBook. Much thanks.

OK< you first have to define whether you have an iBook G3 or an iBook G4
If it is the one in your sig - 12" iBook 1 GHz, then it has to be an iBook G4 because the G3 was never made at that speed.

The iBook G4 uses DDR SODIMM - 266 MHz (PC2100) but 333 MHz (PC2700) SODIMMs are commonly used. There should be no issue with RAM from Crucial or OWC IF you identify the machine correctly.

If you are in the USA, here is the right RAM for an iBook G4 from DMS

Generally, it saves you time and trouble if you purchase from a reputable seller who guarantees compatibility with your specific machine, and offers a no-charge (no restocking, no shipping) return if it doesn't work. As you have experienced, you have now spent more on the shipping of the wrong RAM from NewEgg and eBay than you saved on the price.

The other thing is you have to install the RAM correctly.

You insert the SODIMM RAM module's contacts into the socket with the SODIMM held at about a 45 degree angle. You need to get both thumbs on the long edge of the SODIMM and push it firmly into the socket while it is STILL up on the 45 degrees, THEN lay it down to the horizontal position. There should be none, or very little, of the gold contacts remaining visible, and the edge of the contacts that you can see should be parallel with the socket, not angled. If not, then take the SODIMM all the way out and do it again.

aapl.jlo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Wyoming, MI
Thanks so much! I kinda wish I knew that before, I thought that I had it in before, but that line about how much of the gold was showing was the key. I looked up and down for help, and no one could make it that easy. Runs great now. THANKS! I'm so happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.